I've decided!... I think

Why do you want a drake?  I assume you aren't breeding with a mix flock.  Drakes are more hassles.  I have two drakes in a mixed flock.  I got my Rouen drake because I wanted the green headed pretty boy.  I got my White Crested Drake because crested females can have a hard time when there is a drake around. I love my boys but if they were both girls duck life would be easier.  So if you have a reason... great! I don't regret mine. But you don't need a drake for your ducks and drakes don't lay eggs.
I want a drake because I like the way they look. And I know that they are quieter! Even tho I'm still getting two females for him lol

A Welsh Harlequin wouldn't be too heavy. Are you wanting to breed mixed breed ducks?

Well I wouldn't mind but that's not the goal. I just like how they look
1f60a.png

I used to have both Khaki Campbells and Welsh Harlequins together (2 KC females and a pair of WH). They did very well together and because the Welsh Harlequin breed originated from the Khaki Campbell, the size difference isn't too drastic.

I used to have both Khaki Campbells and Welsh Harlequins together (2 KC females and a pair of WH).  They did very well together and because the Welsh Harlequin breed originated from the Khaki Campbell, the size difference isn't too drastic. 

So which do u think would be the better drake

Do Drakes take care of their hens like Roosters do? Watching out for predators and sounding the alarm like roosters? Are Drakes pretty protective of their flock?

HA no and as a matter of fact not do all roosters... i do have some drakes here who will wander with their females and probably fight vs flight but that only makes them dinner faster it doesn't make a reason to own them.

Personally eventually you'll want more females.. drakes need at least 2-3 per.. are you able to do that? i own drakes(A LOT) and roosters so i do know where i speak from, frankly unless your breeding i would not mix sexes the hassles it can cause are unreal.

I want a drake because I like the way they look. And I know that they are quieter! Even tho I'm still getting two females for him lol

Then I would get the drake realizing there is more work. This year we had to isolate one of our drakes for 3 weeks because his hormones were so bad and he was attacking our other drake and several of the ducks constantly. That involved building him a pen for the day and taking him in every night. He is still agressive but he has calmed down enough to join the general population.

Back
Top Bottom