Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

You would also need a safe and warm place for them to spend the winter, depending on the tort type. My sulcatas don't hibernate. They're active year round and need to be kept above 70F. Other types of tortoise do hibernate though and while the still need to be kept above freezing, they are more tolerant to temps in the 40's and 30's F.

A small tortoise can be successfully kept in an indoor enclosure as well. So it just depends.
Small tortoise? Like, cat sized? I could get one that small and just let it roam the house, like a cat? And it would be safe in my bedroom at night? 👀

Russians and hermann's are both pretty common for indoor tortoises. Do your research.
Well, now that I know that they come in small forms, I most definitely will be. I honestly thought that all tortoises were huge heavy babies that needed land and scorching heat (that is all that I have ever seen advertised, anyway). I need to get some books and stuff, too. Worst case scenario, I gain knowledge and admit that I cannot handle having one. 😊❤️ Thank you for the starting point! 🤗🥰

Well, now that I know that they come in small forms, I most definitely will be. I honestly thought that all tortoises were huge heavy babies that needed land and scorching heat (that is all that I have ever seen advertised, anyway). I need to get some books and stuff, too. Worst case scenario, I gain knowledge and admit that I cannot handle having one. 😊❤️ Thank you for the starting point! 🤗🥰
Start here.

Gopher tortoise. I don't know how to go about getting a protected species.

Gopher tortoise. I don't know how to go about getting a protected species.
There's an adoption process here for desert tortoises, which are a gopher subspecies and are protected. You go through game and fish. and it involves an application, participation in a lottery, and then they inspect your enclosure/yard to make sure it's appropriate and re-check annually if you get drawn. I imagine other states probably also have similar programs to legally possess protected torts.

@tripletfeb : (and really everyone else who might have a chance to see)

Copy of NEW G4 Watch Template (1) (1).png

Back
Top Bottom