ISA brown chick - roo or hen?? - NEW PICS!

TinaK

Songster
9 Years
Feb 12, 2010
Australia
hi!

I had to become a member... to finally get the byc expert opinion on whether my 5 week old chick (turn 6 weeks on Tuesday) is a rooster!!

I don't know much about chickens, but I am beginning to get paranoid that one of my 'girls' is actually a 'boy'.... I don't think a rooster would go down well in my neighbourhood (city dweller) so if it is a rooster I should probably look to replace it sooner rather than later.

The chicks were purchased as ISA browns at 4 weeks old.. they are supposably both female.

All pictures show the chicks today at age 5wks + 4days.

In The first picture the one I am suspect on is the chick on the LEFT hand side. I am quite confident the one on the RIGHT is a hen.

48841_chicken1-edit.jpg

The second picture shows a better shot of the tail on the bird I think is a rooster! In the first picture it didn't really look as it does in real life. In this shot the chick I think is a rooster is still on the LEFT hand side.

48841_chicken2-edit.jpg

This next pic shows a close up of the hen.. and also the tail and of the bird I am suspect on. It is worth noting that when Ipicked the chicks up (2 weeks ago) the bird I 'think' is a rooster had been pecked along it's back and had minimal feather between the wings or on top of the tail and on patches on it's side (well I think? it had been pecked!!!). The feathers began growing immediately once I had the birds home.....

48841_chicken3-edit.jpg

this final shot is of the 'suspects' head....

48841_chicken4-edit.jpg

I can't wait to get someone else's opinion!

Last edited:
You've definitely got yourself a little boy.

ETA: see if you can get a pic of the culprits back and where the saddle feathers would be found. If those are coming in quite shiny and pointy, paired with that comb you've for sure got a little boy.

Last edited:
well supposably these are ISA browns, sex-links and female... but 'who knows' whats these birds actually are!.....

and yes ISA browns are, well are truly meant to be sex-linked.. (white hen X brown rooster of certain breeds) but there are differing opinions on the matter nowdays.....

Give it another week or two. The coloring is too similar. While the one on the left has bigger comb, bigger legs and the roo stance, it may just be a female trying to assert itself as the leader. :0) Does it like to play volleyball and drive a truck?

i'll continue to post a few pix as they grow!
.......and I haven't seen them driving any trucks lately... but I do work 9 - 5!
wink.png

I've got ISA's maybe a week or two older than yours. Their combs all vary in size even though they are the same age, also their size varies. The chooks that I have bought from my local produce shop over the years have always been hens, 100%, maybe luck, maybe not. Where did you get yours? In any case, you'll know in a few weeks!!

I got them from a local feed / bird store called 'Ivorsons' that sells a hell of a lot of chooks. Never purchased anything from there before, just happened to need horse feed on a sunday afternoon and stumbled across them then!

Back
Top Bottom