Is This Strange Behavior?

Andrea5718

Songster
9 Years
Feb 18, 2014
I believe my chickens are exhibiting some strange behavior. They are not with the general population, and if the gate is opened between the occupied areas for too long, my brown hen will attack with a fury until the "yard chickens" are back in their own area. It's the kind of behavior the a mother hen shows for her offspring, however, her offspring seems to be very "privileged"! Most hens start to wean their little ones at six to eight weeks. This mommy is at 11 weeks and still treating her baby like a baby! All the food she finds is offered to the chick first. Even his Rooster daddy indulges him. Food offered to his females is somehow "snatched" away at the very last second by the chick, racing past and snagging the morsel on the run!
Yesterday, during our heat wave, I was sitting outside just watching the chickens when I noticed a (to me) strange occurrence. My Rooster, Punk, was digging a little hole by the fence. When he was finished, he announced, like he had found food. I was totally amazed! I've only been keeping chickens for about ten years, and had never seen this before. When he announced, both the hen and her chick, who is most definitely a teenager now with a warbly voice, both joined Punk in a communal dust bath! 🤯 I blew my mind, but I got proof!

Attachments

• IMG_20220904_071548728~2.jpg
    IMG_20220904_071548728~2.jpg
    835.5 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_20220904_071559111~2.jpg
    IMG_20220904_071559111~2.jpg
    721.5 KB · Views: 4
Dust bathing is completely normal and usually quite common. I’m surprised you’ve never seen it before. Mine used to dust bathe all the time.

Dust bathing is completely normal and usually quite common. I’m surprised you’ve never seen it before. Mine used to dust bathe all the time.
Yeah, thats seriously confusing me. Mine have a exact time they do it every single day. They love it. Even the broody hen was CONSTANTLY teaching her babies how to do it, then doing it when she left the nest when they were still eggs. Perhaps OP is talking about how the rooster announced for the hens to join him? Not sure.

And OP, yes. It is perfectly normal, she will ween them off soon. Everyhen’s different.

Yeah, thats seriously confusing me. Mine have a exact time they do it every single day. They love it. Even the broody hen was CONSTANTLY teaching her babies how to do it, then doing it when she left the nest when they were still eggs. Perhaps OP is talking about how the rooster announced for the hens to join him? Not sure.

And OP, yes. It is perfectly normal, she will ween them off soon. Everyhen’s different.
Yeah that could be. I’m not sure. I’m confused too.

Oh yes, I have seen my girls dust bath daily. What I haven't seen is the the rooster's participation in this behavior. I have seen a hen teaching her baby to dust bathe, I have just never seen a rooster join in.

Back
Top Bottom