Is This Normal?!

Are my chickies Ok?

• They are sick

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ChickenyChickeny

Songster
Jul 10, 2017
My chickens lay down during the day sometimes, for maybe a half hour, more on some days, less on others. Sometimes in the bushes in the shade, they do that on hot days, but sometimes they will just lay down on the grass. I should clarify: by lay down, I mean they sit in the grass in the same position they sit to lay eggs in, but sometimes they lay on their sides. One of my chickens unexpectedly died yesterday, and I am terrified that some sickness is going to kill all my chickens.

TL;DR
So I guess I am asking: is it normal for chickens to want to lay down during the day? Or are they sick?

...help please
There's many factors that could explain this. If they eat and drink normally and forage then this is normal. This is nothing more than relaxation and then taking a break. Heat is also a factor if they are hot or find a cool spot to rest. Also if they feel like sun bathing they will do this. I have a hen that like to relax and rest during the day. She sits as if she's laying an egg but she is just lounging. She eats normal and drinks, she even lays her daily egg. Mine do this often especially since it's so hot. They often find a cool shaded spot in the bushes or on my porch and sit down. They also perch on the rails during the day. The one that dies unexpectedly, did you notice anything before or after death that was off?

Back
Top Bottom