Is this mereks poop?

Yellow321

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2024
Is this mereks poop? It's not "lime green" like I've seen photos online. But it's a green shade. They 100% haven't eaten anything green at all. 6 week old chicks.

chicks all are sneezing with some being listless. They've been on amoxicillin and now tylosin for a few days and most seem to be getting their energy back - less puffy feathers. But now I saw this weird poop!
1000007570.jpg

It just means that chick doesn't get enough nutrients. Since they have been sick and didn't eat well, it's expectable. Symptoms of Marek's usually start after chicks being 10w or older.

It just means that chick doesn't get enough nutrients. Since they have been sick and didn't eat well, it's expectable. Symptoms of Marek's usually start after chicks being 10w or older.
Whew! I'm stressing over here! Could the lack of nutrients be due to them being on antibiotics? I shouldn't stop the antibiotics until the course is completed, right?

Whew! I'm stressing over here! Could the lack of nutrients be due to them being on antibiotics? I shouldn't stop the antibiotics until the course is completed, right?
yes, you should finish the antibiotics treatment. If you give them probiotics at the same, it will help to stop diarrhea caused by antibiotics and even improve their overall health.

Sneezing would make it more likely respiratory, and since they seem to be improving, I would continue the medications. Amoxicillin is usually well tolerated as well as tylosin, I would finish both. Green can also be from increased bile in the droppings if they aren't eating well. If they haven't been feeling well, then they may not be eating well.
Where did you get the chicks, feed store, breeder, home hatch, etc?

Sneezing would make it more likely respiratory, and since they seem to be improving, I would continue the medications. Amoxicillin is usually well tolerated as well as tylosin, I would finish both. Green can also be from increased bile in the droppings if they aren't eating well. If they haven't been feeling well, then they may not be eating well.
Where did you get the chicks, feed store, breeder, home hatch, etc?
Can I give tylosin and amoxicillin at the same time? I saw mixed answers online. I had started fish amoxicillin by mouth for 3 says while I waited on my tylosin to be delivered. Then started tylosin in the water. I've continued with tylosin and still have a few days left before the end of treatment. Would it be too much for their little bodies to give amoxicillin orally on top of the tylosin in the water? Would the two antibiotics cancel each other out?

I would finish the tylosin and then switch, if needed. Since they seem to be improving, it may be working. I don't like to combine meds unless it's really necessary. And if you are giving multiples it's hard to know which one might actually be working. I can't find anything that says there is any measureable interactions between those two, but kidneys and liver are involved with metabolizing any of them, so I prefer to not mix if it's not truly necessary.

I would finish the tylosin and then switch, if needed. Since they seem to be improving, it may be working. I don't like to combine meds unless it's really necessary. And if you are giving multiples it's hard to know which one might actually be working. I can't find anything that says there is any measureable interactions between those two, but kidneys and liver are involved with metabolizing any of them, so I prefer to not mix if it's not truly necessary.
My thoughts too. Thanks!

yes, you should finish the antibiotics treatment. If you give them probiotics at the same, it will help to stop diarrhea caused by antibiotics and even improve their overall health.
But if I give probiotics/vitamins while also giving antibiotics, wouldn't it make the antibiotics less effective? Or possibly the probiotics/vitamins wouldn't even be effective since there's antibiotics in there?

It will not affect the antibiotic. Probiotics will help replace the good bacteria in the gut, the antibiotics kill the good bacteria as well as the bad. If I have to take an antibiotic myself, I take a probiotic between doses as well. It can help prevent, or reduce any digestive upset from the loss of good gut bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom