Top beak trimmed too much?

Emrosenagel

Songster
Oct 2, 2020
Hello!

Im not sure if I made a mistake or not, but I noticed one of my jersey giants (5 weeks old) had her stuck a little open and her top beak looked pretty long. I decided to give it a little trim, something I’ve done before, but when I did it now looks like her top beak is a tad shorter than the bottom. Will she be able to eat like this? I know it will grow back but I don’t want her to starve because of my stupid mistake.
IMG_0060.jpeg
IMG_0057.jpeg

She'll be fine. Looking at the pictures, it looks more than a beak trim that's an issue with her beak. It looks like it doesn't fully close in the middle? If you can, I'd try to start filing her bottom beak down for a few weeks to see if that'll fix the problem along with her top beak. If it doesn't, you may need to start filing the inside of her bottom beak to prevent it from curling in too much and getting infected because it won't be able to self-clean.

She'll be fine. Looking at the pictures, it looks more than a beak trim that's an issue with her beak. It looks like it doesn't fully close in the middle? If you can, I'd try to start filing her bottom beak down for a few weeks to see if that'll fix the problem along with her top beak. If it doesn't, you may need to start filing the inside of her bottom beak to prevent it from curling in too much and getting infected because it won't be able to self-clean.
Yeah, it doesn’t fully close in the middle. Is this the beginning of a crossed beam? And when you say file her bottom beak, do you mean the tip?

Last edited:
I would like you to read this article.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1166494/

Yes, she'll still be able to eat.
Shadrach, that article is highly technical and (on my phone) extremely difficult to read (very small), but on the very last page I got to the heart of the matter, which was that a chicken's beak is full of nerve endings and pain receptors, and that filing or cutting the beak causes a chicken "acute and chronic pain," as well as loss of sensory abilities that enable it to properly detect and pick up its food.

Thank you for sharing.

Hello!

Im not sure if I made a mistake or not, but I noticed one of my jersey giants (5 weeks old) had her stuck a little open and her top beak looked pretty long. I decided to give it a little trim, something I’ve done before, but when I did it now looks like her top beak is a tad shorter than the bottom. Will she be able to eat like this? I know it will grow back but I don’t want her to starve because of my stupid mistake.
View attachment 3824774View attachment 3824775
She will still be able to eat and drink, her beak will grow back in no time.

Yeah, it doesn’t fully close in the middle. Is this the beginning of a crossed beam? And when you say file her bottom beak, do you mean the tip?
I would watch it, but I don’t think it is. It's more of just another beak deformity which shouldn't be bred if you're breeding for quality. Yes. (Be careful not to hit the quick, so just where it is lighter in color.)

Back
Top Bottom