Is this chick ok?

Silkiebegins

Songster
Mar 22, 2024
So I have a 3 day old silkie and is kind of a week chick. I needed to help rip the membrane of the chick to help it hatch, which was advice. Anyway, it looked like it had very mild wry neck at first. But I noticed today that one eye has never opened. Also, It became a very needy chick today. I was going to be gone all day with my dad so I brought my chick and it would chirp and chirp, which it always did. So I put my hand on it and it gave me peace and quite. Now it won't let me take my hand off it! Any ideas how to make it less needy and what's wrong with it?
20240510_134516.jpg

The chick is imprinted on you - when not near/in contact with you, it will complain. Make sure it is warm enough and continue with vitamins for wry neck. Provide a mirror for company. Apply antibiotic ointment to the eye. Hopefully it is not a congenital defect.

The chick is imprinted on you - when not near/in contact with you, it will complain. Make sure it is warm enough and continue with vitamins for wry neck. Provide a mirror for company. Apply antibiotic ointment to the eye. Hopefully it is not a congenital defect.
:thumbsup

I needed to help rip the membrane of the chick to help it hatch, which was advice.
About half of the chicks I help turn out fine. I'm glad I helped them. But for a lot of them there is a reason they needed help. For whatever reason they are not likely to make it. But that does not mean you don't try.

Is that chick eating and drinking? They absorb the yolk before hatch and can live on that for over 72 hours before they need to eat or drink. If it is not eating and drinking, I suggest feeding it something to give it energy. Many people use boosters or such they can get at a feed store or even from a hatchery. Some dissolve sugar in water. I use hummingbird liquid. Put a drop of liquid on the tip of its beak. It should snap its head around and drink it. Keep doing that until it quits eating it. That should help hydrate it and hopefully give it enough energy to eat and drink on its own.

:thumbsup

About half of the chicks I help turn out fine. I'm glad I helped them. But for a lot of them there is a reason they needed help. For whatever reason they are not likely to make it. But that does not mean you don't try.

Is that chick eating and drinking? They absorb the yolk before hatch and can live on that for over 72 hours before they need to eat or drink. If it is not eating and drinking, I suggest feeding it something to give it energy. Many people use boosters or such they can get at a feed store or even from a hatchery. Some dissolve sugar in water. I use hummingbird liquid. Put a drop of liquid on the tip of its beak. It should snap its head around and drink it. Keep doing that until it quits eating it. That should help hydrate it and hopefully give it enough energy to eat and drink on its own.
It is doing fine today and has full control over it's head now. Also, I got it to drink more but isn't eating. It does try to graze on the grass but is to weak. Also, any idea about the eye lid? On one eye the eye lid will refuse to open and has never opened so far. Will it stay like that forever?

I will try that.

Back
Top Bottom