Is this a good breed? Blue Leg Hatch Gamefowl

Gamefowl have been bred for thousands of years by man using only the fittest for breeding. As a result, gamefowl have not been influenced by man's taking advantage of mutations to eliminate broodiness in the interest of increasing egg production (broody hens do not lay). You have evidently also correctly heard they are excellent mothers. While gamefowl are available in different colors, you may ignore the names that are associated with them that sound like a breed. Those names, most often associated with breeders names mean very little any longer as they now have come to be associated with certain colors and other physical characteristics. "Hatch" has come to mean a black breasted red duckwing with straight comb and a variety of leg colors but least likely blue legs. Blue legs are actually the "wild type" leg color since it is shared with the Red Jungle Fowl although blue legs are the least favorite of cockers (people who breed them for the original purpose).

One game hen will serve your purposes as well as the next regardless of her strain "name", feather or leg color.

Don't buy chickens on ebay!

If you want games for hatching there are plenty of breeders in  your neck of the woods to get something that is useful. If you want Asil then cuda is your best bet. He's got plenty for sale right now. Just send him a pm.
[/quote

I am new to this chicken addiction but I have purchased 2 batches of chicken eggs and 2 batch of ducks egg on ebay. I had great luck with them all. My only complaint was the coloring on 1 of the ducklings had me thinking it wasn't purebred. Is there another reason for not buying on eBay

Color has nothing to do with a Game. You not find real Games on ebay.
Saladin,
You appear to be promoting your own prior posts! You also appear to like to have the last word.

Color is definitely relative to gamefowl because people have color preferences and they are shown in some poultry shows where color matters. I would agree with you that it has little or nothing to do with gamefowl performance in the pit.

You can find gamefowl on ebay. If, like most serious cockers, your interest is limited to only those gamefowl that have recently been proven in the pit, it may not be the place for you to find yours. Folks who advertise on ebay may raise them for the pit but ebay is probably not the place to speak of your gamefowl's success in the pit.

Saladin,
You appear to be promoting your own prior posts! You also appear to like to have the last word.

Color is definitely relative to gamefowl because people have color preferences and they are shown in some poultry shows where color matters. I would agree with you that it has little or nothing to do with gamefowl performance in the pit.

You can find gamefowl on ebay. If, like most serious cockers, your interest is limited to only those gamefowl that have recently been proven in the pit, it may not be the place for you to find yours. Folks who advertise on ebay may raise them for the pit but ebay is probably not the place to speak of your gamefowl's success in the pit.
No, I was simply giving an answer. The person wrote within my quotation. I do talk to myself, but not typically 'online.'

As to color and Games: color is important only when exhibiting Games and even then should not amount to too many points as it is all about type (or should be) in the exhibition hall with Games (understanding the importance of condition).

I would never buy chickens on ebay: not layers, not meat breeds, not dual purpose fowl, not games. Since I would not do this myself, then why would I recommend it or encourage it among others.

It was not about having the last word (at least not this time), but instead about clarifying a post where someone wrote words that could have been mistaken for my own.

I do not like to be misrepresented or misquoted.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just asking if there was something that I should be aware of when buying from Ebay besides what I had already heard about the hatch rate with shipped eggs. I wasn't referring to any type of game stock. My question of coloring was in reference to my ducks, not game birds of any kind. I don't even know what game birds are, which is why I joined BYC. I wanted to get advice from people with experience to educate myself.

Also, I didn't mean to write within your quote. Again, newbie here. Sorry
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom