Is this a good breed? Blue Leg Hatch Gamefowl

Farmerboy16

Rebuilding my Farm
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Sparta, MI
I saw an auction on ebay for the Blue Leg Hatch Gamefowl hatching eggs, and am wondering if this is a good breed? I am looking for gamefowl to raise for hatching my breeder eggs instead of using the incubators all the time. If this is not a good breed, then does anyone here on byc have a good stock? I am new to gamefowl, and I don't care what color they are as long they make very good mothers.Thanks for any input.
smile.png

I cant tell you anything on those.I do know that we have American Games and Asil's.The Asil hens are the best we have ever used to hatch eggs under.They are gentle with the chicks and they dont try to get you everytime you get close to the chicks.We hatch some of our bantams under them.Alot of times when we used the American hens they would step on and kill the bantams chicks trying to get to us when we were taking the chicks away from them.The Asils never do this.The only drawback to these hens is that number one they are hard to find,and number two they are expensive.

Last edited:
Don't buy chickens on ebay!

If you want games for hatching there are plenty of breeders in your neck of the woods to get something that is useful. If you want Asil then cuda is your best bet. He's got plenty for sale right now. Just send him a pm.

I have Ideal stock of BB Malays, 1 cockerel, 3 pullets hatched in March. They are considered as games, right? if I like their temperament, broodiness, then I will invest in breeder's stock next year. That is if I can find any besides bantams, they are very hard to find!
he.gif

Quote:
That all depends on who you ask. lol.

Personally, I would just class Malays as Orientals and leave the game part off.

Please don't be offended by what I'm going to say: You don't have Malays. Your birds might, and I say might, have some Malay blood in them, but you don't have Malays.

If you want standard Malays then I can give you the names of 5 or 6 breeders. If you want bantam Malays then the field narrows to about 2 or 3 as the bantam Malays are very hard to come by.

They are not hard to find if you know who to talk too.
cool.png

If you're looking for American Games I know a guy who lives within an hour of Sparta who could help you out. He's got a couple different bloodlines and if you're looking for hens to hatch chicks under he can help you out.

Quote:

Please don't be offended by what I'm going to say: You don't have Malays. Your birds might, and I say might, have some Malay blood in them, but you don't have Malays.

If you want standard Malays then I can give you the names of 5 or 6 breeders. If you want bantam Malays then the field narrows to about 2 or 3 as the bantam Malays are very hard to come by.

cool.png

What?!? Not true Malays? I have become attached to them, and really like their leggy looks. All the time and effort I have put into them and they are not true to breed?
hit.gif
he.gif
Bash the hatchery stock!
smack.gif
I will never buy from any hatcheries again! I had ordered 11 males, and 6 females, but most of them had died from an unexpected heat spike.
barnie.gif

Can you pm me the Standard Malay breeders? Thanks

Quote:

cool.png

What?!? Not true Malays? I have become attached to them, and really like their leggy looks. All the time and effort I have put into them and they are not true to breed?
hit.gif
he.gif
Bash the hatchery stock!
smack.gif
I will never buy from any hatcheries again! I had ordered 11 males, and 6 females, but most of them had died from an unexpected heat spike.
barnie.gif

Can you pm me the Standard Malay breeders? Thanks

I'm not bashing hatchery stock. Hatcheries serve an important role. There are hatcheries that have particular breeds that are excellent.

BUT, you are NOT going to find any hatchery (to my knowledge) that has even remotely good Standard Malays.

Good Standard Malays are in the hands of a few good breeders. They have various issues (leg problems, heart issues, etc.) which makes breeding/raising them rather difficult. Plus, there is not a very large demand for them either. Heck, you could safely say there is virtually NO demand for them; which is why so few have them. Good ones are going to cost you good money: $100 for a dozen hatching eggs, $75 each for started stock, or $100 plus for mature birds.

I wish you well on your quest. I've sent a pm with names.

I know that hatcheries are good for supplying chicks for eggs, and meat production. I only want breeding quality, and now I know that most hatcheries does not have that. That is why that I said that I will not buy from a hatchery again, but from good breeders.
smile.png
Thanks for the help.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom