Is there a wrong time of year for a hen to sit?

scrane1021

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
I am still very new to keeping chickens and have never had very small chicks. I have been out of town for a few days and have come home to a very broody hen sitting on at least 5 eggs. They are very likely fertile. It is December 30. I do not heat my coop. What should I do?

You can kick her out and break her broodiness or you can put her in a cage in your house or garage.If you keep her there the eggs will probably freeze when she gets off for a drink.

Welcome to BYC!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

More than time of year, it depends on if you're ready/willing/set up for more birds.

Do you have space for more birds? Chicks need more space to stay out of the way of the adults while everyone learns manners and how to get along as a flock.

Do you have a plan for cockerels? If you already have a rooster, what are you going to do with 2-4 more?

Where are you located? It's not impossible for a hen to brood chicks even in pretty cold climates, but it's not really ideal either. If you're a more practical approach person and understand you may lose chicks, that's one thing. If you're a pet type person and are going to be emotionally devastated to lose a chick, I'd hold off for better weather.

I'm in Wisconsin. I've had successful hatches from broody hens in all seasons in an unheated coop. I would move her to a smaller enclosed area free from drafts. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom