Is my rooster going to die?

chickenthebrooks

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2020
I have a rhode island red thats approaching 2 years of age. His name is Big Daddy. Today he has been acting extremely lethargic. He stands, and also hunkers down, eyes closed, and bobs/droops his head, and he foams at the mouth a little bit. I've given him water with apple cider vinegar, and he takes deep gulps of water, submerging his face up to his nostrils, and gulps it down with his head back, mouth and eyes wide open. He doesn't really want to eat anything. He is a little pale around the eyes. He kind of drowsily turns his head and preens the back of his neck. He doesn't have any lice or mites on him that I can see, and he's not really making any noise. I can hear the sound of his breathing now and then, but that's about it. His poop is green and white and shoots out of him like a sneeze.I really don't want to lose him, because we've been through so much together, but I don't know what to do. Advice is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
You can tube feed him to keep him alive while you try to figure out what's wrong.

Your best bet would be to get him to a vet first thing in the morning.

He stands, and also hunkers down, eyes closed, and bobs/droops his head, and he foams at the mouth a little bit. I've given him water with apple cider vinegar, and he takes deep gulps of water, submerging his face up to his nostrils, and gulps it down with his head back, mouth and eyes wide open. He doesn't really want to eat anything.
Can you post some photos of him and his poop?
What does his crop feel like?

Any chance that he ate something toxic or rotten?

Please look inside his beak for any lesions or yellow pasty material.

Not sure what's going on with him, but deep gulping of water makes me think he's trying to clear an obstruction or has a crop issue.
I wouldn't say he's not going to die, but not eating for 1 day would not make him die - whatever else is the issue might.

We have him staying with a guy that keeps chickens as a temporary thing, because we just moved and can't keep roosters in our neighborhood. We are securing a piece of land to build a house on, and keep our chickens. He called me earlier when I was at work to tell me what was going on, and that he didn't really notice anything odd yesterday, but today was much different. My boyfriend went and picked him up, and when he found him he told me he smelled the smell of something akin to...moldy feed? The man had him separated from the other chickens immediately, of course, but none of them are exhibiting similar symptoms. How should his crop feel? It doesn't feel much different from the way it normally does.

Attachments

• 20210309_192852.jpg
    20210309_192852.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210309_192918.jpg
    20210309_192918.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210309_211457.jpg
    20210309_211457.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210309_211528.jpg
    20210309_211528.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 17
We have him staying with a guy that keeps chickens as a temporary thing, because we just moved and can't keep roosters in our neighborhood. We are securing a piece of land to build a house on, and keep our chickens. He called me earlier when I was at work to tell me what was going on, and that he didn't really notice anything odd yesterday, but today was much different. My boyfriend went and picked him up, and when he found him he told me he smelled the smell of something akin to...moldy feed? The man had him separated from the other chickens immediately, of course, but none of them are exhibiting similar symptoms. How should his crop feel? It doesn't feel much different from the way it normally does.
Look up coryza symptoms

Back
Top Bottom