Is my dove sick?

GoldenBlossoms

Songster
May 30, 2022
I noticed this morning her poops look more black/green when they are normally white. Is she sick?

She free flies the house and has a spot she loves so I put paper towels under her to catch what dhe drops. And the color worries me.

Attachments

• 20231122_094822.jpg
    20231122_094822.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 27
Those are very healthy and normal looking pigeon/dove droppings.

I’m a bit more concerned about your description of them normally being white. The white part of the droppings is urates, equivalent to human urine in a semi-solid form, while the dark part is the actual feces. A color range of brown to dark green to black is normal and can depend on diet (my pigeons have black feces when they eat a lot of sunflower seed and dark green feces when they’re eating a lot of peas). If the droppings were totally white that would mean they were mostly urates with very little food passing through.

Those are very healthy and normal looking pigeon/dove droppings.

I’m a bit more concerned about your description of them normally being white. The white part of the droppings is urates, equivalent to human urine in a semi-solid form, while the dark part is the actual feces. A color range of brown to dark green to black is normal and can depend on diet (my pigeons have black feces when they eat a lot of sunflower seed and dark green feces when they’re eating a lot of peas). If the droppings were totally white that would mean they were mostly urates with very little food passing through.
Sorry, I mostly meant she had white mixed with with dark green but the black seemed new with like no white so I was worried but I did just start giving her sunflower seeds something she didn't seem to like before and now loves. But if she is healthy I'm very happy. Her behavior never changed.

No need to be sorry! The sunflower seeds are definitely what caused the color of the droppings to darken. Sunflower seeds are great in small amounts but don’t feed too many - they’re very fatty! I mix a small amount in with my regular feed throughout the year and then give them much more when they’re molting.

Back
Top Bottom