Is Milkweed dangerous to chickens?

Jajika

Crowing
16 Years
Dec 24, 2007
Northern California
Hi Everyone: I want to plant Milkweed to help with the Monarch butterfly population, however, I've heard it is toxic? And that the butterflies create worms that can be poisonous. So, will the chickens go after them? And will it be harmful?

Thanks

It's a toxic plant for almost everyone, except those Monarch butterfly larva. Apparently it tastes bad too, and so most critters avoid it. Planting it around outside should be fine, as long as it's not the only thing available in the run, or actually fed to them.
Mary

It appears to at least be unpalatable based on persistence of the plants areas were my chickens forage. The chickens also will not consume red and black insects, in addition to Monarch Butterflies, that do consume the plants.

I have given up on my Chickens " NOT " eating milkweek.
They seek them out, and eat all of the leaves. They eat everything around the yard, when the milkweed is 6-8 inches tall.
With 40 chickens free ranging, its impossible to watch each ONE.
They are healthy, some of my chickens are 6 years old. The eggs are beautiful and shells are amazing.
I think if they free range and its a normal part of their diet. If your chickens are penned up and only eat bagged food -- do not introduce food that they are not accustom to.

Back
Top Bottom