Is it okay to seperate the rooster temporarily?

Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
My rooster is a pretty good boy, but he's young and perpetually horny (as he's supposed to be, I guess. But I'm wondering if it would be cruel to seperate him for a couple days from his hens.

I have no intention of isolating him. I'd put him in my grow out pen with my 6 week old chicks whom he adores. I would also probably put his sister in with them as she's bonded only to him and the chicks and scared of the rest of the adult hens. (He still views her as a sister and not as a potential mate so I'm not worried about him overbreeding her). The roo and his sis would be able to see the flock. I thought it could be a nice break for my adult ladies.

Would being away from his hens be highly stressful to my rooster? Should I just try it and see how they all react? I included a pic of my handsome boy just because.

Attachments

• IMG_7602.JPG
    IMG_7602.JPG
    400 KB · Views: 37
My rooster is a pretty good boy, but he's young and perpetually horny (as he's supposed to be, I guess. But I'm wondering if it would be cruel to seperate him for a couple days from his hens.

I have no intention of isolating him. I'd put him in my grow out pen with my 6 week old chicks whom he adores. I would also probably put his sister in with them as she's bonded only to him and the chicks and scared of the rest of the adult hens. (He still views her as a sister and not as a potential mate so I'm not worried about him overbreeding her). The roo and his sis would be able to see the flock. I thought it could be a nice break for my adult ladies.

Would being away from his hens be highly stressful to my rooster? Should I just try it and see how they all react? I included a pic of my handsome boy just because.
You can always try, just put him where he can’t see them and give him some treats. Works for me!

Is anyone physically getting hurt? If there are any injuries you need to do something immediately.

How are the girls reacting? Are they hiding in the coop on the roost to avoid him, going without food and water just to stay away from him? When he mates them do they stand up, shake, and go about their business. As he is an immature cockerel it would sort of be expected that they might initially run from him, that's pretty normal. But how do they act when he catches them? What makes you think this is putting a lot of stress on them? It sounds like they are adults, do they beat him up? I'm of the school that if it isn't broke don't fix it because you might break something. What might you break? You don't know until you break it.

It sounds like the chicks and the pullet are integrated now. Personally I would not mess with that without a clearcut reason. They are yours and you can do what you wish with them. If it falls apart we'll be here to help you put it back together. Unless someone is getting hurt or is so stressed that it is affecting behaviors I don't see the benefit.

I agree with Ridgerunner, separating birds often times causes more problems that it fixes. If the older birds are under a huge stress, take him out. It won't hurt him to be by himself for a couple of weeks.

Adding a rooster back into a flock of only hens, is generally pretty easy. Adding the pullet and chicks back in will be more of a trick.

Mrs K

Is anyone physically getting hurt? If there are any injuries you need to do something immediately.

How are the girls reacting? Are they hiding in the coop on the roost to avoid him, going without food and water just to stay away from him? When he mates them do they stand up, shake, and go about their business. As he is an immature cockerel it would sort of be expected that they might initially run from him, that's pretty normal. But how do they act when he catches them? What makes you think this is putting a lot of stress on them? It sounds like they are adults, do they beat him up? I'm of the school that if it isn't broke don't fix it because you might break something. What might you break? You don't know until you break it.

It sounds like the chicks and the pullet are integrated now. Personally I would not mess with that without a clearcut reason. They are yours and you can do what you wish with them. If it falls apart we'll be here to help you put it back together. Unless someone is getting hurt or is so stressed that it is affecting behaviors I don't see the benefit.
No one is getting hurt. Some of the girls accept him, some run, some still fight him. I do have 1 that hides from him.

I separated out the chicks that I’m selling, so that’s why some have been moved. Their coop & run is next to the main coop, so all the chickens can see one another. I was thinking if it was only for a couple days, reintegration wouldn’t be a problem.

I do have an injured hen, who is separated. I was concerned about him re-injuring her when she returns, but unfortunately I’m not sure that’s going to happen any time soon if at all. 😢

A couple months ago when we had too many roosters, we decided to separate all of them from the flock until we figured out what to do with them. They were pretty unhappy about it and paced the fence relentlessly in a constant state of stress trying to get to the hens. That’s the kind of stress I’d like to avoid, but I guess I won’t know until I try.

No one is getting hurt. Some of the girls accept him, some run, some still fight him. I do have 1 that hides from him.

I separated out the chicks that I’m selling, so that’s why some have been moved. Their coop & run is next to the main coop, so all the chickens can see one another. I was thinking if it was only for a couple days, reintegration wouldn’t be a problem.

I do have an injured hen, who is separated. I was concerned about him re-injuring her when she returns, but unfortunately I’m not sure that’s going to happen any time soon if at all. 😢

A couple months ago when we had too many roosters, we decided to separate all of them from the flock until we figured out what to do with them. They were pretty unhappy about it and paced the fence relentlessly in a constant state of stress trying to get to the hens. That’s the kind of stress I’d like to avoid, but I guess I won’t know until I try.
If he can see them then he will be stressed & pace that fence constantly! If it were me with the scenario you've described I would leave alone!! Sounds like the hens have it controlled.

I think I've solved the very problem. 1 roo to 6 hens. He's very active. So I put him in his own area at night and don't turn him loose till noon. I then put him back in his area around 5-6 in the evening. He's happy the hens are much healthier. Everyone is happy.

Back
Top Bottom