Is hen ready to be re-introduced to flock?

nicolevg

Songster
May 30, 2021
Tehachapi, CA
It's been nearly a month since the bear attack that got our rooster & 2 of our older hens, along with taking a good chunk out of this girl's back. I'm really happy with how it's been healing. I see no inflamed or infected area, and no strange odor. Here's a pic of what her wound currently looks like.

She's been isolated in her own kennel in the garage for the past month to give her time to recover. But we'll be gone for the long Christmas weekend, & our usually pet-sitters also won't be available this weekend. I'm considering reintroducing her to the flock and seeing how she gets along, & then leaving her with the rest of the girls for the 5 days we'll be gone. (They have automated water, feed & coop door, plus lots of cameras in the coop so we can call a neighbor to check up on them if needed). There's only 3 of them left, so when I add her, that'll be 4 total (in a coop/run meant for 10-12 birds, so she'll have plenty of space to run and get away if needed). Do you think I should cover her wound with a gauze pad and bandage her up just so no pecking at the wound happens, or do you think the white bandage will just attract more attention from her flockmates? It's not bleeding now, but if the delicate new skin is broken, not only could infection set in while we're away, but I'm sure the other hens would have a field day pecking at all that red.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• tempImagef6Dpbw.png
    tempImagef6Dpbw.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 16
Her healing wound looks very good. Just make sure there's no red color around the wound. If so you can use blue food dye to darken the area.

She's good to go in the coop. Also double check your water and feed amount before you leave.

Back
Top Bottom