Is Blackjack 57 safe?

Just make sure you can get plenty of airflow under there, to help keep it dry. You could install some of those crawlspace vents you see on houses. That way, you get the airflow you need and keep out wildlife, (rodents or whatever).
Jack

Jack is right about the airflow, if you are setting the floor directly on the concrete slab it will likely still have the dampness issue under your wood floor, it will cause the wood floor to mold and rot, treated wood will slow or stop the rot but not the mold.

Thanks for the input everybody! There has to be a solution to the problem. I can't be the only one with an old barn with a concrete floor that sweats. Anyone? Help please? My babies are coming soon and want to keep them dry!!

The sweating may just be seasonal. My concrete garage floor sweats in the spring when the warm moist air flows over the cold concrete.
Maybe just put some straw or pine shavings down until the temperatures regulate.

Did anyone find any Blackjack 57 in less than 5 gallons? My local price for 5 gallons is $50 and they say that's good for 250 sq ft. I have a 6x8 coop I want to cover and 5 gallons is a bit of overkill.

Any suggestions? Do you find yourself re-coating the floor yearly after major cleaning? Then it might be wise to get the 5 gal.

Thanks

You guys are great!
Here is the new plan: our coop "walls" are chain link dog kennel panels. We would put 2x4's on edge with heavy plywood over top. Has to be sturdy enough to hold my weight. Because of the chain link walls there should be ample airflow under the suspended floor. What do you wise folks think? I so appreciate your comments!

You guys are great!
Here is the new plan: our coop "walls" are chain link dog kennel panels. We would put 2x4's on edge with heavy plywood over top. Has to be sturdy enough to hold my weight. Because of the chain link walls there should be ample airflow under the suspended floor. What do you wise folks think? I so appreciate your comments!
Might make a great place for rodents to nest.
Just make sure you can get plenty of airflow under there, to help keep it dry. You could install some of those crawlspace vents you see on houses. That way, you get the airflow you need and keep out wildlife, (rodents or whatever).
Jack

Good reminder Jack! We have barn kitties that take care of most mice but I can easily monitor under the suspended floor with a flashlight and a broom handle to make sure no other predators from making nests. So happy to come up with a possible solution to the wet floors. With the crazy weather we are having the concrete has stayed moist. Bedding of any kind would be a mess. Thanks again for all the help, with my brain injury it helps to have help making decisions!

Jack,

I'm getting ready to put down Blackjack57 on my coop floor. There's no mention on the can for how long to wait before walking on it. How long did you let it "dry"?

Jim

Back
Top Bottom