Is bamboo harmful to chickens?

I have done some research on bamboo. I just learned recently that there are two types. Clumping (non-invasive) and running (invasive). The running type is the one that gives bamboo a bad name and is difficult to control. Naturally I'm looking into the clumping ones. Their new shoots stay fairly close together.
fl.gif

I hope bamboo is a flavor my chickens don't care for.

I grow a couple of types here at the farm and the guineas love it, they like to dodge in and out and between and scratch up all the litter (it produces a lot) no ill side effects.

I only do the clumping type, we have buddah belly (wamin) black(lako) and oldhamii which is giant timber, it is alos handy for garden stakes, perches..etc....

Quote:
Kind of like Mint?
gig.gif

Not at all like mint -- more like vertical kudzu with the structural strength of some types of wood
roll.png

Pat

What is up with oriental plants being dangerous?
roll.png

My Momma is looking to get bamboo started in or around our chicken pen, looking for some or know anywhere to get it other thant just off the side of the road!
GPN Zone 7 AL

Quote:
I having been looking online, but to ship the plants is expensive. I checked with a local nursey and they said they could order some for me. I didn't know there where so many kinds to choose from. They can have different appearances.

Quote:
Clumping bamboo is mostly tropical. Few will thrive in the US an almost none north of the Mason/Dixon. You can find some that will but the majority of non tropical bamboo is running bamboo.

Tropical in nature is not a problem for me. I'm in South Georgia. Our county borders the Georgia/Florida line. Will clumping spread well enough to form a dense hedge for privacy?

Back
Top Bottom