Injured duckling!!

Bridger Davis

Songster
Jul 25, 2017
Evans Colorado
I was working in the garden and digging up worms for the ducklings when one of them got right underneath the shovel and got cut by it. The small cut is on the front of her left leg a bit above and on the opposite side of her shank. She's trying not to use the leg; I did dry it with a guaze, applied neosporin, and made sure it wasn't bleeding (there was hardly any blood) , but she now does not want to use that leg at all. they are outside, should they come inside?thanks!

20190426_120618.jpg

20190426_120611.jpg

Here's the pics. She is a 3.5 wk old Rouen.

Attachments

• 20190426_120514.jpg
    20190426_120514.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 3
I have may times almost got a foot when digging for worms fo mine. It doesn’t look deep but probably hurts you’ve cleaned it well I’d just give her the rest of the day off with rest. Keep applying neosporin but wash it out real good before using to make sure there isn’t any dirt left in it.

View attachment 1753033

View attachment 1753035

Here's the pics. She is a 3.5 wk old Rouen.

Excellent pics of the injury - great job! We too often have to try to help people who can't manage to get pictures in focus or don't even add pictures. I'm glad she's gotten over the initual shock, which definitely would stop a little one from using the injured foot - I've seen some little ones make a big deal out of very little, too, sort of like they're "milking" it for attention, LOL! But, as said before, they're pretty tough little critters, for certain. They really have to be, being prey animals like they are, though. They instinctively know they can't show injury or sickness, because the weakest of a flock is always the target for the predators.

I'd keep an eye on it for any infection setting in, and keep putting the neosporin on until there's no visible cut left there. But it really doesn't look too significant.

Excellent pics of the injury - great job! We too often have to try to help people who can't manage to get pictures in focus or don't even add pictures. I'm glad she's gotten over the initual shock, which definitely would stop a little one from using the injured foot - I've seen some little ones make a big deal out of very little, too, sort of like they're "milking" it for attention, LOL! But, as said before, they're pretty tough little critters, for certain. They really have to be, being prey animals like they are, though. They instinctively know they can't show injury or sickness, because the weakest of a flock is always the target for the predators.

I'd keep an eye on it for any infection setting in, and keep putting the neosporin on until there's no visible cut left there. But it really doesn't look too significant.

:lol: I was happy to get such nice resolution pictures too, I know how frustrating it can be not knowing enough or seeing clearly the thing you are giving advice on lol. I feel like that bold, italicized, and underlined "they're" was a hint that you too noticed the spelling error from a previous post...:lau thanks for the advice; I'll watch her closely:D

Back
Top Bottom