Important!! Guinea badly limping, bumblefoot cure not working/ is this bumblefoot?

grakat

Hatching
May 15, 2023
My male guinea started limping recently and his legs started shaking, getting worse quickly. When i checked his feet, i noticed these big black scabbish things in his toes. My first thought was bumblefoot, but after soaking in very warm water with epsom salts for at least twenty minutes and trying to remove the scabs, they were very very tough and kept bleeding, and my guinea was wincing. Besides i think it seemed to come off like skin, not like i imagine a bumblefoot scab should come off...but this would be my first bumblefoot case, so not sure. Is this bumblefoot, or something else? i couldn't see any other similar cases or pics on the forums to base it off. Thank you!
IMG_0258.jpeg
IMG_0262.jpeg IMG_0266.jpeg IMG_0261.jpeg IMG_0265.jpeg IMG_0260.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0264.jpeg
    IMG_0264.jpeg
    894.5 KB · Views: 4
Welcome To BYC

Looks like Contact Dermatitis.
I think I would consider treating with Tricide Neo (how to use and where to buy in the link below).

Keep him on clean dry bedding. The sore on the leg joint is likely from him laying down (similar to a pressure sore). I'd clean that with Chlorhexidine, pat dry, then place a tiny cushion of gauze over it, then wrap with vet wrap. Change daily. Keep the bedding dry where he's laying down.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ure-that-avoids-surgery.1568704/post-26631630

Thank you for your reply! I have right now Tylan, PRID, and MicrocynAH, as well as the basics like triple antibiotic, hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol. Would any of those be effective treatments?

Thank you for your reply! I have right now Tylan, PRID, and MicrocynAH, as well as the basics like triple antibiotic, hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol. Would any of those be effective treatments?
The scabbing you see is like a dermatitis, it could possibly technically be called bumblefoot, but there's no kernel or core to be removed, so don't try to dig anything out.

What you are wanting to do is heal the lesions. For these, you want them to dry. The feet being wet is partly the cause of it, so soaking in the Tricide Neo, then drying the feet really well and keeping him on clean dry bedding is what's going to help him heal up.

You could try daily soaks in Chlorhexidine, then let the feet dry. Wrap, then put him on clean dry bedding. Do this daily for a few days and see if it makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom