Impacted crop, need help!

Pics

chickenmomma16

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Buckley, Washington
I really don’t want to loose this guy. He has been a great patient so far. Quick back info: Switched feed 5days ago, it’s currently mixed with their old feed for a slow transition. I’ve been sick, and I wasn’t aware their water didn't thaw out in the morning so that pen was out of water for a day or 2. They did have a bucket that had some thawed water when I went out so they were probably getting little sips at least. I really felt awful when I went out there and realized their water was still frozen. It was an honest mistake, our whole house has been sick. I also started pulling feeders at night a couple days ago to get on top of a rodent issue and giving the feeders back at about 8:30am. They have access to a large yard to wander in while they wait for their feeders.
Those are the 3 things that happened this week.

His Symptoms:
Cannot hold down water. He vomited a mealworm up this morning that he ate YESTERDAY. I syringed in his mouth some egg yolk this morning before he vomited and he was excited about that so

I gave him the bowl of yolk and he tried to eat it but liquid just fell out and he gave up. The liquid is light brown, watery. I can’t smell yet so can’t tell you how it smelled.
He seems to want to eat but doesn’t. He does drink.
Crop isn’t abnormally big, it’s squishy, can’t feel anything obviously wrong with it. When I first started feeling it he vomited. Picture below of the yolk he was eating and his vomit to the upper left of the bowl. Poop picture and comparison of the other poops.

Any ideas? Suggestions? I think it’s an impacted crop but I’ve never dealt with it before.
0BB7B25F-C09F-467B-BC50-5E25E2BE7FA9.jpeg
C703C151-7198-4BEF-8013-DF1462F4E085.jpeg
86A3D558-CE38-4FE9-8E52-7986888D29C8.jpeg
A420BF44-F0A7-4F29-97BB-ECE9D792C12D.jpeg

I really don’t want to loose this guy. He has been a great patient so far. Quick back info: Switched feed 5days ago, it’s currently mixed with their old feed for a slow transition. I’ve been sick, and I wasn’t aware their water didn't thaw out in the morning so that pen was out of water for a day or 2. They did have a bucket that had some thawed water when I went out so they were probably getting little sips at least. I really felt awful when I went out there and realized their water was still frozen. It was an honest mistake, our whole house has been sick. I also started pulling feeders at night a couple days ago to get on top of a rodent issue and giving the feeders back at about 8:30am. They have access to a large yard to wander in while they wait for their feeders.
Those are the 3 things that happened this week.

His Symptoms:
Cannot hold down water. He vomited a mealworm up this morning that he ate YESTERDAY. I syringed in his mouth some egg yolk this morning before he vomited and he was excited about that so

I gave him the bowl of yolk and he tried to eat it but liquid just fell out and he gave up. The liquid is light brown, watery. I can’t smell yet so can’t tell you how it smelled.
Crop isn’t abnormally big, it’s squishy, can’t feel anything obviously wrong with it. When I first started feeling it he vomited. Picture below of the yolk he was eating and his vomit to the upper left of the bowl. Poop picture and comparison of the other poops.

Any ideas? Suggestions? I think it’s an impacted crop but I’ve never dealt with it before.
View attachment 3392770View attachment 3392773View attachment 3392772View attachment 3392769
If his crop is impacted, trying to get food into him is going to make it worse. But if his crop is squishy, it may not be an impacted crop. This could actually be sour crop or something else along those lines. The green in the faeces could possibly indicate infection, though it could be down to him not eating. Knowing if there's a bad/sour smell from his mouth would help, but I get that you're ill and don't know.

The poop doesn't look good. What feed is he on, any treats? Does he have access to grit?
And any chance he could have gotten into something toxic?

At the very least this will bump the thread so hopefully others will chime in soon.

If his crop is impacted, trying to get food into him is going to make it worse. But if his crop is squishy, it may not be an impacted crop. This could actually be sour crop or something else along those lines. The green in the faeces could possibly indicate infection, though it could be down to him not eating. Knowing if there's a bad/sour smell from his mouth would help, but I get that you're ill and don't know.

The poop doesn't look good. What feed is he on, any treats? Does he have access to grit?
And any chance he could have gotten into something toxic?

At the very least this will bump the thread so hopefully others will chime in soon.
He has been on Nutrena flock raiser pellet and I’m switching to Natural Farm Feed. He currently has a 50/50 mix no treats, he hasn’t got out of his pen and we don’t use any sort of poison. He had access to grit. I always keep it out in a metal rabbit feeder.
I was trying to feed him thinking it was something else then he started vomiting and I examined his crop and realized it could be something related to his crop as he didn’t digest the meal worms that I had tossed to the group yesterday. I haven’t fed him since then. I gave him some olive oil and massaged his crop. And offered water with poultry nutri drench. He seems in decent spirits as he was just crowing in my laundry room.

Well… this just came out of his crop!!!! I massaged him and tipped him upside down to get some of the gunk out.
I definitely didn’t get it all. It was thick and a bit traumatizing for the both of us. This is pieces of the new feed. ☹️
31C83549-236B-444A-B2C0-388BEE20FF34.jpeg

What does the inside of his beak look like?
When was he last wormed/

Was the new feed fresh, no mold?

If possible I'd get fecal float to see if worms are part of the problem.

Do treat the crop since it's not emptying. I'd go ahead and begin treating as sour.
The info in this article is what I use. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

That green and yellow poop is concerning to me. Have you ever had this issue before?

What does the inside of his beak look like?
When was he last wormed/

Was the new feed fresh, no mold?

If possible I'd get fecal float to see if worms are part of the problem.

Do treat the crop since it's not emptying. I'd go ahead and begin treating as sour.
The info in this article is what I use. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

That green and yellow poop is concerning to me. Have you ever had this issue before?
Last wormed a month ago with Valbazen.

Feed is very fresh. I’ve never had an issue like this. Feed was mixed with his old feed 1/27 Friday. It looks like it’s all one kind of grain that’s in his crop. I don’t like the looks of his poop either. Whenever I’ve seen that color it usually doesn’t end well. I’ll continue his impacted/sour crop treatments tomorrow. He obviously doesn’t feel good but isn’t weak, yet. He had no issue running from me when I caught him.

Last wormed a month ago with Valbazen.

Feed is very fresh. I’ve never had an issue like this. Feed was mixed with his old feed 1/27 Friday. It looks like it’s all one kind of grain that’s in his crop. I don’t like the looks of his poop either. Whenever I’ve seen that color it usually doesn’t end well. I’ll continue his impacted/sour crop treatments tomorrow. He obviously doesn’t feel good but isn’t weak, yet. He had no issue running from me when I caught him.
I'd provide him with wet/soaked feed and water.

Get some coconut oil into him and I'd consider treating as Sour Crop too.

Poop like that makes me think Enteritis but it could be bile from not processing food either.

If his crop doesn't clear in a day or two, then consider giving him a molasses flush to see if that will move anything that may be partially blocking the intestines/digestive system/gizzard. Molasses acts as a laxative so see that he's drinking well afterward.
For the flush it's 1teaspoon Molasses to 1/4cup warm water, have him drink it down. He'll probably drink it on his own (maybe not since I say that!) but if he won't, then syringe it into him. It will create a very loose stool, so you may want to keep him outside.

I'd provide him with wet/soaked feed and water.

Get some coconut oil into him and I'd consider treating as Sour Crop too.

Poop like that makes me think Enteritis but it could be bile from not processing food either.

If his crop doesn't clear in a day or two, then consider giving him a molasses flush to see if that will move anything that may be partially blocking the intestines/digestive system/gizzard. Molasses acts as a laxative so see that he's drinking well afterward.
For the flush it's 1teaspoon Molasses to 1/4cup warm water, have him drink it down. He'll probably drink it on his own (maybe not since I say that!) but if he won't, then syringe it into him. It will create a very loose stool, so you may want to keep him outside.
The link you sent recommended Miconazole vaginal cream. I have miconazole cream for athletes foot/jock itch. Will this work as well?

He has not cleared his crop after all day yesterday of massaging and oil drenches. I just mostly emptied his crop this morning and got a long thin blade of grass out and a small clump of grass. Also more of the whole grain pieces. He’s drinking lots of water and wants to pick at his soaked food but doesn’t eat much of it. I’m headed out to pick up molasses for his system clean out. I think it’s time for more drastic measures. He’s still pooping the green along with lots of urates.
10EEDB47-DFA5-43C2-AA01-C2FAF0DD3420.jpeg
198ECE3D-9D21-4A69-A8CB-5D3F158C4BC9.jpeg

I would use it.

Sounds like he may have a partial blockage in the digestive system, so maybe the molasses will help with that.
Yes, it’s definitely not just sour crop. He has a build up of gasses as well so when I massage his crop he burps. I hope he can turn around because he’s starting to get weak and loose weight.

Back
Top Bottom