if an easter egger has brown cuckoo feathers, what breed does that come from?

Easter eggers are mixes, they could also have been crossed for generations, so you can't really tell for sure whose breeds they are from. She/he could have hereditated the barred gene from a legbar, a barred rock, a bielefeld, a cuckoo marans, dominique, delaware, etc.
These are only some of the most common breeds in the hatcheries, but breeders have created lots of new colours in all the breeds. So there are also barred Araucanas and Ameraucanas, for example.
I agree on the photo, maybe seeing it may be more helpful on assuming whose breeds made that chicken

Attachments

• 7DF4AFEE-ED35-490E-AF61-639C506BDAC8.jpeg
    7DF4AFEE-ED35-490E-AF61-639C506BDAC8.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 47B93166-6BED-4E31-A286-10F30188C4D7.jpeg
    47B93166-6BED-4E31-A286-10F30188C4D7.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 7
Cuckoo is caused by the barring gene, and involves white bars on the feathers.
They can be white bars on brown feathers, or white bars on black feathers, or white bars on any other color of feathers. But the bars are always white, not any other color.

That chick appears to have brown and black making lines on the feathers, but it does not look cuckoo (no white bars.). I've seen quite a few chicks grow feathers like that, and they usually have a different pattern when they grow up. So I would expect it to change with time.

If it was sold as an Easter Egger, that is probably what it is. Hatcheries often breed Easter Eggers to other Easter Eggers, and repeat that every year, without crossing in any pure breeds. Many Easter Egger chicks are colored like your chick, but so are many chicks of other breeds, so I don't think we can trace it to any specific breed of ancestor.

Back
Top Bottom