Feathered Legs(kind of) Barred maybe? Black and brown down/feathers? What is it?

RememberTheWay

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
Two chicks like this, one has feathered legs the other does not. White dot on heads. Assuming they will be Barred? Brown and black down. Anyone know what breed they are or possible breeds?

Thanks in advance 🥰

Attachments

• Messenger_creation_b1141fed-941f-433b-a2d0-be241ded6d05.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_b1141fed-941f-433b-a2d0-be241ded6d05.jpeg
    351 KB · Views: 23
  • Messenger_creation_f048d857-d881-4f02-ba4a-65f4ad5d88c0.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_f048d857-d881-4f02-ba4a-65f4ad5d88c0.jpeg
    361.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Messenger_creation_7fc010ea-9f31-45dc-9665-5c4c24481439.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_7fc010ea-9f31-45dc-9665-5c4c24481439.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 3
  • Messenger_creation_ff74f9c6-21b3-4197-b35b-f354181b7c3e.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_ff74f9c6-21b3-4197-b35b-f354181b7c3e.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Messenger_creation_2f36caf3-540c-4ed5-9ada-f01fecdfc8b5.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_2f36caf3-540c-4ed5-9ada-f01fecdfc8b5.jpeg
    454.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Messenger_creation_87848f3e-12ab-4902-84a1-763259cebf35.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_87848f3e-12ab-4902-84a1-763259cebf35.jpeg
    458.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Messenger_creation_32341e0a-7a13-44f7-8bce-555f6d420a57.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_32341e0a-7a13-44f7-8bce-555f6d420a57.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Messenger_creation_716bb135-2fb1-4df8-8884-ce6a32631c0d.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_716bb135-2fb1-4df8-8884-ce6a32631c0d.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 2
Two chicks like this, one has feathered legs the other does not. White dot on heads. Assuming they will be Barred? Brown and black down. Anyone know what breed they are or possible breeds?
Yes, I would expect them to be barred.

I am not sure what breeds to suggest.

Barred Rocks would not have feathered legs.

Cuckoo Marans could have the feathered legs, but should have white soles on the feet, but I think I see yellow soles in the photo. (White vs. yellow sometimes does change in the first days or weeks, so that might not be the final color.)

Barred Cochins would probably have more feathers on the legs, but I suppose they might be a possibility.

Maybe Olive Eggers or Easter Eggers? Quite a few of those have barring because of which breeds the hatcheries choose to mix.

I think you will probably have to keep watching as they grow, and hope the breed becomes clear in time.

Last edited:

Cuckoo Marans could have the feathered legs, but should have white soles on the feet, but I think I see yellow soles in the photo. (White vs. yellow sometimes does change in the first days or weeks, so that might not be the final color.)

Barred Cochins would probably have more feathers on the legs, but I suppose they might be a possibility.

Maybe Olive Eggers or Easter Eggers? Quite a few of those have barring because of which breeds the hatcheries choose to mix.

I think you will probably have to keep watching as they grow, and hope the breed becomes clear in time.
They are feathering out black and white Barred. I will check foot color tomorrow though

Here's another question though, something I've been wondering here lately- Does a dot on the back of the head as a chick on the down always mean they have the barring gene? No matter what color the dot is? or the rest of the down? Lavender bird with a yellowish dot? Brown bird white dot? Blue bird yellow/white dot?

Here's another question though, something I've been wondering here lately- Does a dot on the back of the head as a chick on the down always mean they have the barring gene? No matter what color the dot is? or the rest of the down? Lavender bird with a yellowish dot? Brown bird white dot? Blue bird yellow/white dot?
A white or yellow dot on the top or back of the head means barring, I think all the time. It is more likely to be present, and more obvious, on solid black chicks. Chocolate or blue or lavender chicks have the dot too, but it doesn't stand out as much. Chicks with a pattern of other colors may not show the light dot on their head, even when they do have barring (inconsistent: some do, some don't.)

A black or brown dot can appear on some colors of chicks, and does not tell anything about whether the chick has barring or not.

Some chicks have a dark marking on the head and also have barring (example: Cream Legbar females.) That dark marking does not mean barring, but seems to be covering up or hiding or preventing the light dot that otherwise would indicate barring. But Cream Legbar males DO show the light dot on their head (same base color pattern, but two barring genes in males vs. one barring gene in females.)

A white or yellow dot on the top or back of the head means barring, I think all the time. It is more likely to be present, and more obvious, on solid black chicks. Chocolate or blue or lavender chicks have the dot too, but it doesn't stand out as much. Chicks with a pattern of other colors may not show the light dot on their head, even when they do have barring (inconsistent: some do, some don't.)

A black or brown dot can appear on some colors of chicks, and does not tell anything about whether the chick has barring or not.

Some chicks have a dark marking on the head and also have barring (example: Cream Legbar females.) That dark marking does not mean barring, but seems to be covering up or hiding or preventing the light dot that otherwise would indicate barring. But Cream Legbar males DO show the light dot on their head (same base color pattern, but two barring genes in males vs. one barring gene in females.)
Very interesting. I actually just purchased some CCL chicks and was noticing that some of the females actually had light dots on their heads. Which from what I was reading happens from time to time.

Very interesting. I actually just purchased some CCL chicks and was noticing that some of the females actually had light dots on their heads. Which from what I was reading happens from time to time.
Yes, it seems to be a bit inconsistent. But they were the first example I could think of that does have barring, while often skipping the light dot on the head.

Back
Top Bottom