Identity Crisis!?!?!?! Any help would be appreciated!

She is typical Murray McMurray dark cornish, I know where a flock of 30 is that look just like her. the hatchery birds are not gonna be the big broad breasted birds like we see on feathersite, these are show birds, they are not productive enough to be hatchery birds. her confirmation dont even resemble a wyandotte..like I said in my earlier post, I'm willing to bet she has a pea comb

Quote:
Definitely a Dark Cornish. You all are thinking about Cornish Crosses. THEY are meat birds. Cornish and Cornish Crosses are two different breeds. That is NOT a Wyandotte. And the last one is a Silver Spangled Hamburg.
roll.png

OK, First of all. Thank you all for all your help. I do believe I have most of my chickens figured out except for Missy. Let me see if I understand this.. You all think she is a dark cornish. Thanks again. I am amazed at how knowledgeable -spelling? you all are! You have been so helpful to me as a newcomer!

First one is a White Leghorn, second is a Dark Cornish, and third is a Silver Spangled Hamburgh.

And seriously, stop and think about it, they would not send GLW as meat birds. That is just common sense really.

~Casey

None of these were sent as meat birds. Order I placed was for 15 meat bird and 10 assorted laying hens. I ended up with the 15 meat birds and 9 laying hens plus Nugget!

Im still not giving up hope that missy is a GLW. I agree though, a picture of the comb would help since everyone else seems to think shes a dark cornish.

Also, if you ordered laying hens, they would not send a cornish as a laying hen. It would be completely typical of McMurray to send you GLW's, they throw those in with everything.

If she was a cornish she would have much thicker legs also.

okay after editing this twice now, I looked in my book and found some information for you. Missy is NOT a dark cornish. Dark cornish would have a yellow beak (missys is black), and pearl eyes (missys are definitely not).

so i say GLW

Last edited:
OK first thing tomorrow morning I am goin out to the run to see if I can convince Missy to pose for some better pics for me. She really doesn't have much of a comb right now. She is still quite young, only 15 weeks. Check back in the morning. Maybe we can get this cleared up??
smile.png

Here are two new pics I took this morning. I hope this will help!!

NuggetandtheGirls020.jpg

NuggetandtheGirls019.jpg

I know the second pic is a little wierd. She didn't want to be disturbed from eating the watermelon!
She really is a great hen she has a pretty dominate personality. I would have to say she is at the very top of the pecking order. She also tries often to follow me out of the run. I have a leash that she will let me put on her and likes to be walked around the yard. The only one out of all the girls who will let me do this. She is a funny chicken!!!

Come on people! That is clearly a Dark Cornish! It looks nothing like a GLW!
roll.png

Look at how tight the feathers are. Cornish not Wyandotte.

Do you have a pic of her as a chick? That would solve the problem.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom