I saw all the dosages for Corid for mixing with water, what about a direct oral dosage?

mrhoodie

Songster
7 Years
Aug 26, 2016
California
I’m pretty sure my chicken has coccidiosis. She won’t drink, so I can’t mix amprolium in the water. Does anyone have a dosage to give Corid orally, so not mixed in any water? Thanks. My hen is 7 years old now, too.

Last edited:
Neither yet, I planned on getting liquid tomorrow.
Liquid Corid direct dose is 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.

This is in addition to making the mixed Corid solution available. A direct dose daily is not going to treat an outbreak, so you will need to keep her hydrated and get as much of the mixed Corid water into her that you can too. Liquid Corid mixed solution is 2 teaspoons of Corid per 1 gallon of water.

What symptoms does she have?
Can you post some poop photos?
How old is she?

Here's how to get medications into a chicken
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Her Symptoms:

Listless
Ruffled feathers, plus her wings are relaxed downward
Huddled, not walking much
No appetite
Not drinking
No feathers on her head
Diarrhea
Doesn’t lay eggs anymore (possibly due to her age).
So I thought she has coccidiosis?

Liquid Corid direct dose is 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.

This is in addition to making the mixed Corid solution available. A direct dose daily is not going to treat an outbreak, so you will need to keep her hydrated and get as much of the mixed Corid water into her that you can too. Liquid Corid mixed solution is 2 teaspoons of Corid per 1 gallon of water.

What symptoms does she have?
Can you post some poop photos?
How old is she?

Here's how to get medications into a chicken
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Thank you! That is very helpful. I have been giving her a liquid drench and some electrolytes. She is an old girl, she is seven. Her name is Bonnie Blue. I can post pics tomorrow. Thx!

Thank you! That is very helpful. I have been giving her a liquid drench and some electrolytes. She is an old girl, she is seven. Her name is Bonnie Blue. I can post pics tomorrow. Thx!
Her Symptoms:

Listless
Ruffled feathers, plus her wings are relaxed downward
Huddled, not walking much
No appetite
Not drinking
No feathers on her head
Diarrhea
Doesn’t lay eggs anymore (possibly due to her age).
So I thought she has coccidiosis?
Look forward to your photos.

The Corid will not hurt her. I would stop vitamins and electrolytes if they contain B1 (Thiamine) while you are treating her with the Corid.

With her being an older girl she may have other things going on, especially if she has not been laying eggs. Older hens can be prone to having reproductive problems - Internal Laying, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, tumors, etc.

Have you ever wormed her? That's something to think about as well.
I would also check her crop to see that it's empty in the morning to rule out a crop problem and feel the abdomen between her legs (under the vent) for swelling/bloat or fluid.

No feathers on the head? Is she molting?

Back
Top Bottom