I found something odd when butchering, what is it? (graphic photos!)

So, I'm in the middle of processing 23 cornish crosss from Welp hatchery. I've done half of them (all cockerels) and so far every single chicken has those. Seems like a line of balls of muscle fibers (meat) with a lot of connective tissue in between that goes along their necks. I separate it out along with the esophagus and trachea after I remove the head, and before removing and discarding the crop. I've just been removing it and discarding it, although I could probably add it to the pot of things I boil for stock - seems like normal muscle fiber to me - I assumed it had something to do with the neck.

All the CX I've processed so far are healthy (for cornish cross), and 6-9 weeks old. I've kept them in an open air covered run (no free ranging due to predators) and fed 12 hrs daily of 20% meat bird food. Regular water (no ACV) from 5 gal buckets with horizontal nipples. All the organs have looked great, no signs of disease.

That being said, this is my first batch of meat birds and I haven't processed any of my egger / dual purpose cockerels yet, so I'm pretty new at this.

Cooked one of my broilers aged 6 wks (that had this) and it was delicious.

ETA: If this is a problem (that anyone knows about) I'd definitely like to know, I assumed not since I've had no issues and my chicks have been healthy with low probability of having caught something.

The Meat Bird Forum is usually where I ask questions about stuff I find when processing chickens.

Poultry prefer water between pH 6.0 and 6.8 , so back off the ACV. That said, having a flock w/ no ACV, more varied diet, and the same conditions suggests its not feed related
Ok!
I have already stopped using it, as it didn't seem to have any benefits.
Is the 7.5 of the plain water fine? It is the same as we drink, and we don't have any problems with it.
Or should I add a tiny amount of ACV to bring it into the 6.0 area?

@FunClucks your birds sound just the same as mine.
Healthy and everything normal in every other way.
I would think it was normal, if they had always been like that; but at least mine have not. (to the best of my knowledge, I am starting to doubt myself, and think that I just never noticed them before.)
I don't think its anything to worry about, because it doesn't seem cause any other issues, and fair few people say they have them.
However, I'll let you know if I find out any more about it.
I put it in this forum, because when I first found them I was a bit concerned about it.

Ok!
I have already stopped using it, as it didn't seem to have any benefits.
Is the 7.5 of the plain water fine? It is the same as we drink, and we don't have any problems with it.
Or should I add a tiny amount of ACV to bring it into the 6.0 area?
I happen to think its fine. 7.5 is within the "acceptable" range for chickens (top end). If its no hassle, the birds will slightly benefit from more acidified water.

and while I could do the math, it would be easiest just to use some cheap pool test strips to determine when you have the desired pH (6.5-6.7), particularly as different ACVs have different pH, and your water quality may vary with time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom