I found something odd when butchering, what is it? (graphic photos!)

Have you tried to cut open one of the lumps to see if there is fat inside?
I did, and they looked just the same inside as outside, no fat anywhere as far as I could tell. Here the bits I'm holding was one that I cut in half.
P2120112.JPG

Its not something I've seen in my birds, but as I've said before, what I don't know about poultry illness and injury would fill books. and DOES!

I found this from years ago, here on byc, which would make that "goiter". The problem with "goiter" is that its descriptive, not diagnostic.

Possible causes include too much or too little iodine, Vit D deficiency, calcium deficiency, with a genetic component. But again, I don't know what I'm talking about, and the images I'm finding on line aren't closely matching what you posted above.
It does sound rather like a goiter.
But why would I suddenly start getting them now?
They get the same grower feed the I always use. I have been feeding them some ACV, as I wanted to see if it had any benefits. Could that cause anything?
The only other thing is, I had be experimenting with cleaning out their water bowls with copper sulfate to kill alga (I know its an odd idea, but it seemed to work) I thought I rinsed them out very well, but maybe...I'm not sure really.
Could to much copper cause it?
Would you eat the rest of them?

It does sound rather like a goiter.
But why would I suddenly start getting them now?
They get the same grower feed the I always use. I have been feeding them some ACV, as I wanted to see if it had any benefits. Could that cause anything?
The only other thing is, I had be experimenting with cleaning out their water bowls with copper sulfate to kill alga (I know its an odd idea, but it seemed to work) I thought I rinsed them out very well, but maybe...I'm not sure really.
Could to much copper cause it?
Would you eat the rest of them?
Me? I'll eat anything.

Yes, I'd take my chances, risks seem very low.

and that doesn't look like copper toxicity, no. ACV shouldn't do that either, unless it was acidic enough to start impairing calcium uptake (seems unlikely). Do you know what your water pH is before adding the ACV, and what your target pH is??? or did the source recommending you add ACV not mention that?

Me? I'll eat anything.

Yes, I'd take my chances, risks seem very low.
Ok!
And the rest of them did seem very nice and healthy, just the right amount of fat, and all the organs were very tidy.
ACV shouldn't do that either, unless it was acidic enough to start impairing calcium uptake (seems unlikely). Do you know what your water pH is before adding the ACV, and what your target pH is??? or did the source recommending you add ACV not mention that?
It wasn't one source that recommended it, but more that a lot of people seemed to think its good for chickens, and I was slight doubtful so thought I would try it out on some I was going to butcher anyway.
I don't know what the pH of our water is, but I'm thinking of getting a test kit to find out.
So I think my casual experiment has turned out to be a bit more then that!
I can let you know what it is when I know, if you like.

@U_Stormcrow I have finally got around to testing their water.
The test kit I used was this one https://www.bunnings.com.au/manutec-50ml-hydroponic-liquid-ph-test-kit_p0086841

So the plain water came up with a ph of 7.5
I then tried adding the same amount of ACV that I was before, and that came up as 4.0
Any thoughts?

However since I made this thread, I have butchered some more cockerels, from a different flock, which have never had ACV.
Also, they do a lot of free ranging, along with grower pellets freely available, and they were some of the healthiest looking chickens ever; but they still had these same 'things' in them.
I am truly puzzled, as I had never seen it up to when I made the thread, but now all my cockerels seem to have them.

@U_Stormcrow I have finally got around to testing their water.
The test kit I used was this one https://www.bunnings.com.au/manutec-50ml-hydroponic-liquid-ph-test-kit_p0086841

So the plain water came up with a ph of 7.5
I then tried adding the same amount of ACV that I was before, and that came up as 4.0
Any thoughts?

However since I made this thread, I have butchered some more cockerels, from a different flock, which have never had ACV.
Also, they do a lot of free ranging, along with grower pellets freely available, and they were some of the healthiest looking chickens ever; but they still had these same 'things' in them.
I am truly puzzled, as I had never seen it up to when I made the thread, but now all my cockerels seem to have them.
Poultry prefer water between pH 6.0 and 6.8 , so back off the ACV. That said, having a flock w/ no ACV, more varied diet, and the same conditions suggests its not feed related

Back
Top Bottom