i believe it’s canker ??

Foramendog

Chirping
May 12, 2019
one of my hen has swelling at the base of her beak and she’s unable to fully open her beak. She pecks and is unable to get food in her beak. The inside of her mouth looks clean and I have still wiped inside looking for yellowish or other yuck in there. I’m hand feeding her, if i put food in the side of her beak near the back she’s able to swallow from there. I feed till i feel food in her crop. I’m only doing this 2x daily. I have apple cider vinegar in the water as well as vetRx. I started her on metronidazole ~ 20mg twice daily. I’m waiting for copper sulfate to be delivered for the water in the flock. Any other suggestions? Opinions? She’s a pet for sure. I have 10 total in my flock. treating. the water only for the rest of the girls.
8B624C4A-4A06-48B4-AF3E-7BB1392D6040.jpeg
B5E101BE-31F9-436E-8A0D-A4BF0FB12123.jpeg

If there are no yellow lesions inside her mouth and no bad smell I don't think it's canker.

How old is she and how long has she had this bump? Could it just be a reaction to a sting or bite from an insect?

Other possibilities are some sort of cyst or a tumor. If it feels rock hard that is often a tumor. If it's soft/malleable some people would try to lance it and see what comes out... Personally I would monitor for a few days to see if it gets better on it's own and if not then find a vet if possible.

Also in the first picture it looks like her beak is overgrown, which might be at least part of the problem of her not being able to pick up food when she pecks. I'd try trimming or filing it back a bit.

If there are no yellow lesions inside her mouth and no bad smell I don't think it's canker.

How old is she and how long has she had this bump? Could it just be a reaction to a sting or bite from an insect?

Other possibilities are some sort of cyst or a tumor. If it feels rock hard that is often a tumor. If it's soft/malleable some people would try to lance it and see what comes out... Personally I would monitor for a few days to see if it gets better on it's own and if not then find a vet if possible.

Also in the first picture it looks like her beak is overgrown, which might be at least part of the problem of her not being able to pick up food when she pecks. I'd try trimming or filing it back a bit.
thank you i will trim it. yes there is no smell. she’s 4 It is hard poor girl i love her so much

Again thank you for responding

i believe you are correct i think it’s a tumor has not reacted to any treatment poor girl just can’t open her mouth much. she eats but her crop is never full. it takes a lot to get food. I’m feeding her by hand at night. now she waits for me in the evening looking to be fed. At least she goes to sleep with a full crop. not sure what else to do. I love her she’s sweet so i’ll keep feeding. thank you oh i did trim her beak

Attachments

• ADEB6779-7861-48ED-A689-89998B42CC4A.jpeg
    ADEB6779-7861-48ED-A689-89998B42CC4A.jpeg
    455.9 KB · Views: 4
i believe you are correct i think it’s a tumor has not reacted to any treatment poor girl just can’t open her mouth much. she eats but her crop is never full. it takes a lot to get food. I’m feeding her by hand at night. now she waits for me in the evening looking to be fed. At least she goes to sleep with a full crop. not sure what else to do. I love her she’s sweet so i’ll keep feeding. thank you oh i did trim her beak
Thanks for updating and sorry it seems to be getting worse. She does look sweet.

If the lump doesn't feel rock hard I might try to lance and express it at this point in case she somehow got some sort of infection and it's an abscess. If there is fluid or cheesy pus you can clear it out and treat with a topical antibiotic and maybe an oral one as well. If it just bleeds there is some other problem.

Back
Top Bottom