I am going to be having some chickens at my new house need help with a coop design

Congrats on moving out of apartments. I hate living amongst people with little to no privacy.
I had a similar situation. We were living in a multiunit 2 floor apartment. It always sounded like the neighbors upstairs were moving furniture around all day. One day our CEILING started leaking water. We went upstairs and the woman had two black eyes. She said she was running a bath for the baby and forgot about it. Her tub overflowed and we had to call maintenance to fix our wiring. I hate other people:oops:

Search for Woods Coop or Woods Poultry House.
It's a really good design. Well ventilated. My birds love it. I built an 8x12 version. It would easily hold 24 birds.

If you hate your chickens I guess.

More space, twice as much as you think you need. Big coop big run, if you are starting with 20 who knows once chicken math sets in.

Gary

It's been my experience that my chickens only use the coop for sleeping so as long as everyone fits on the roosting poles cozy is fine. My chickens free range and they are asleep 4 minutes after they enter their coop and the door opens at dawn so they are out the second they wake up.

My chickens free range and they are asleep 4 minutes after they enter their coop and the door opens at dawn so they are out the second they wake up.

And ... what happens when predators show up, and you have to lock them away to keep them safe?

Or bad storms?

The idea of a coop for more than a roost ... is so the birds have somewhere safe to spend time, (maybe days or WEEKS!) if they can't get out to "free-range" ... it's a dangerous short life for a chicken out all on its own!

Yea they would have a run built with a net or somekind of fence well wish me luck

It's been my experience that my chickens only use the coop for sleeping so as long as everyone fits on the roosting poles cozy is fine. My chickens free range and they are asleep 4 minutes after they enter their coop and the door opens at dawn so they are out the second they wake up.
depends on where you live. I had -20f with high winds + feet of snow. :barniefor some reason they stayed in most of the day :lol:

I will just have to disagree with your management style. Too little space cannot be good long term. Chicken math is real.

Gary

Yea i use to have about 50 in a old wood playhouse that was like 20 by 20 and a run probably 50 or 60 yards in length and width

Back
Top Bottom