Hudson Valley NY *chat thread*

I think the last time I was on here was when I was hatching out my crested cream legbars.....1 of them is my current incubator lol and the nipper. Her sister is the golf ball thief.

It is a fever... I just hatched out 25/30 that went into lockdown and have 6 broodies on approximately 60 eggs, not really sure though since I just keep shoving eggs under them :oops:

Ive been on that page already. But i really have no materials at all. Ill be purshasing a few things to make a brooder but one of my local feed stores has feeders and waterers for under $5 and shavings for $5. So im mostly there. Just have to get the stuff in my possession and get to work. My dad is buying the first bag of feed and then were splitting the cost of chicks 50/50. Im reaponsible for the brooder because i want chicks. But other than that were splitting everything.

I think the last time I was on here was when I was hatching out my crested cream legbars.....1 of them is my current incubator lol and the nipper. Her sister is the golf ball thief.
They are quirky and cantankerous when they're broody, that's for sure. Just survived 2 psycho broody buff orpingtons who had been broody since April. One of them hatched 4 chicks...one died and two disappeared so there's only 1 left. They're co-parenting this one chick; an EE, I think. It's so cute! I also have 2 chicks from the psycho broody buffs' 1st hatch that are about a month old; 1 is definitely a rooster. Not sure if I want to keep these 2 so if you know of anyone who might be interested, let me know.

Good luck with your new chicks!

It is a fever... I just hatched out 25/30 that went into lockdown and have 6 broodies on approximately 60 eggs, not really sure though since I just keep shoving eggs under them
hide.gif
W0W Christine that's a lot of chicks! How are your gardens doing?

Have you processed any chickens yet? DH asked me to contact you to see if we could get together for a lesson but before I could, he got anxious when he saw things were going to start getting crazy at work so he processed them already. He did a great job and I was glad he didn't need my help! We BBQ'd one on a beer can roasting rack last Sunday. It was delicious.

Good luck with your hatches!!

They are quirky and cantankerous when they're broody, that's for sure. Just survived 2 psycho broody buff orpingtons who had been broody since April. One of them hatched 4 chicks...one died and two disappeared so there's only 1 left. They're co-parenting this one chick; an EE, I think. It's so cute! I also have 2 chicks from the psycho broody buffs' 1st hatch that are about a month old; 1 is definitely a rooster. Not sure if I want to keep these 2 so if  you know of anyone who might be interested, let me know.

Good luck with your new chicks!

How many eggs a week on average you think you get from your orps? I never thought about this breed while doing my research.

Have you processed any chickens yet? DH asked me to contact you to see if we could get together for a lesson but before I could, he got anxious when he saw things were going to start getting crazy at work so he processed them already. He did a great job and I was glad he didn't need my help! We BBQ'd one on a beer can roasting rack last Sunday. It was delicious.

Wow, good for you & your husband. I want to learn how to process. Someone at our church does it, think I will ask her to teach me. I think its time I learn.

How many eggs a week on average you think you get from your orps? I never thought about this breed while doing my research.
They're just getting over their psycho-broody moodiness so I haven't been getting many eggs. On average, the 2 buff orpingtons were laying about 8-10/week. They're one of my favorite breeds. I love how full-feathered they are. They're curvy girls lol

Hey! We were going to have a processing gathering weren't we? I have not had to process any yet. I have been really lucky with selling chicks and my excess roosters. The down side is that my freezer is empty yet and I didn't order meaties secondary to some logistical issues that came up. It really isn't too challenging once you do a few, but those first few are a learning experience. The dispatching part is the hardest, as it should be. There are some videos on the web done by Joe Salatin and they are great for learning.

I am sure I will be left with some roosters after this batch though and I imagine several of the folks who got straight run chicks from me will be returning some boys. Home grown beer can chicken? I bet it was spectacular.

My gardens are running away. My potatoes in the feed bags are about 4 feet tall already and flowering, I already harvested a wheelbarrow full of broccoli rabe. My beets and collards are ready, the snow/snap/and garden peas are about to make a show, and I have a bazillion heads of loose leaf lettuce that need thinning out. Everything is just exploding. This slow, constant drizzle should work wonders too at getting my warm weather garden to come up (beans, beans, beans, corn, and squash).

How are yours coming along?

Back
Top Bottom