How to set up the best, effective dust bath?

Quote:
th.gif
I would NEVER kill & eat my bobs! They were hatched pets & will die pets!
tongue.gif

That being said...can Sevin be used as a preventative?

Quote:
th.gif
tongue.gif

You should be fine. I eat mine & sell to others that eat them as well. Some people use Sevin on their gardens & eat the fruit I don't. I sell veggies as well & don't want to sell them with any chemicals in the fruit.

Quote:
th.gif
tongue.gif

You should be fine. I eat mine & sell to others that eat them as well. Some people use Sevin on their gardens & eat the fruit I don't. I sell veggies as well & don't want to sell them with any chemicals in the fruit.

The only reason I'm worried about preventing mites is because I keep my quail on my back lanai & that is also where my parrots play on their tree stands when I let them out there. Most of the time my parrots are indoors & the thought of possibly bring mites (if the varmints hopped from quail to parrot) in gives me the heebie-jeebies!
barnie.gif

*EDIT* Well that PLUS I don't want little bugs crawling on ANY of my pets
tongue.gif

Last edited:
i just use a cat litter tray but find it full of poo very quick so i had a sieve and i sieve out all the nastys and it last a bit longer

i also put in diatomous earth powder in with the sand and a handful of grit

i might try a bucket and cut a hole in it to see if it keeps more sand in lol as they just love to kick it everywhere along with the food and shavings

i did have a corner cat litter which worked too

I like the plastic shoebox idea but I wonder if I should just use sand as my bedding and use a kitty litter scoop to clean it, maybe add some timothy hay and a shelter/hide box? I posted a thread with my new freebie pen in the last day or two, i think it could work with that type of pen. ETA: the thread name is indoor coturnix.

Last edited:
HI Missi,
I use a plastic shoe box , with about 1" of sand , (play sand from Home Depot) and a sprinkle of grit and DE.

You can use the DE as a preventative. It actually has great benefits to them if eaten.

I don't think I would use the dish like you showed for your turtle . They are going to fling sand everywhere! Even with the shoe box they get it around the room mine are in.
gig.gif
But it's the bird room , so they can be as messy as they like.

I tried a card board shoe box, but they pecked a hole in the bottom. ROFL!

And they will fill the "tub"
gig.gif

100_5589-1.jpg

Quote:
You just crack me up!! I love you
big_smile.png
I ended up getting a corner pan for rabbits & filled it with play sand! What is a safe place to get DE with no chemicals in it?

Let me see if I have any decent photos of my dust bath set-up! Stand by....

Hi Missi!

A corner box sounds great. Yours on the back patio, I"m sure a little sand wont matter.

DE can be found at Health food stores and at Feed Stores. I got mine at the local feed store, mainly ones that cater to livestock.

Try feed stores first, I guess also called grain and elevator stores. It will be an animal grade. Health food stores would be more because of it being people grade. :)

ha, its like you got a size 10 in a size 5 box lol

lau.gif

Close, a size 6..

Actually My little button was in there too, but being camera shy, jumped out.​

Back
Top Bottom