How old does a chick need to be to put outside in cold weather?

You've got a long wait, largely because your chick is alone. I would say two months, then play it by ear. If you've still got snow and cold, or cold and rain, wait for milder weather. Try to get the chick a friend if you can. If you want to bring the adults in, that's fine, but set them up with a fence wall first (so they can see but not touch) and later a creep, not direct access. A creep is a wall that has gaps in it small enough that the adults cannot pass through but big enough that the chick can, like rails on a baby crib. Adult chickens can peck a baby chick to death. Observe them closely.

I’m also from Kansas and I wouldn’t personally attempt a lone chick for outdoor winter brooding. That being said, at the end of the month I will be attempting to graft a handful of chicks onto some broody bantam girls in their own newly built section of my coop that will have a heating pad cave and possibly a mounted lamp to keep the temps a little more comfortable on the worst days. I don’t believe in constant high ambient temps throughout an entire brooder, only adequate sources that my chicks use in spurts before running off to cooler sections. Between three possible heat sources, I have good hopes for these chicks to make it through February and into the kinder spring season.

Ended up doing the same. Mine were born Dec. 5th and theyre still living in my closet. The roosters have been crowing for a month now and get into tiny fights once in a while. I'm slowly turning my heat down but its only 65° so far. Its supposed to snow this weekend and I was rehoming the roos this Monday. Ugh. Am I stuck with them for another month??? Theyre starting to drive me insane. Thought I was giving the roos away much much sooner.

I live in South Texas, Houston are. It's already in the 70s here. I think from what I've read my chicks are about 2is weeks old. Would it be ok to move them to the coop full time. Thoughts please

Attachments

• IMG_20180228_152820.jpg
    IMG_20180228_152820.jpg
    697.5 KB · Views: 6
Not yet, they need heat until they are fully feathered as the fluff does not allow them to regulate their own temperature well. If in a brooder, you would drop the temp by 5 degrees a week, starting at 95 degrees so they should be at the 85 degree stage at the mo and this would include night time temps xx

Back
Top Bottom