How much ventilation would i need for this coop?

MaggieTheGenZChickGirl

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2021
Eastern Massachusetts
I have a wooden kids playhouse I'm planning on converting to a coop for 4-6 chickens (average size breeds, like Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks). They would have access to an enclosed run all day, and only be confined to the coop at night. My main concern is how much ventilation to add. The roof and house separate which is where I plan to add the ventilation, I made a rough sketch of the house and what I plan on doing. I think the main question for me is how high should I go up? I am from Eastern Massachusetts.

1639617188872.png

The orange bars at the top are going to be 2x2's secured to the inside of the wall holding the roof up, there's a window on the front and side, none on the other two sides. The opening goes around the whole coop. For the two windows, I plan on making a way to slide in a plastic/plexiglass cover for the cold days, I also plan on making sort of a flap down cover for the vents across the top that I can use an eye and hook to hold up, aswell as have a stick to hold it out so it will keep the rain out on bad days, and be able to fully close them if need be. So yeah, the only question I've really got is, how raised does the roof need to be to provide sufficient ventilation? Thanks!

I have a wooden kids playhouse I'm planning on converting to a coop for 4-6 chickens (average size breeds, like Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks). They would have access to an enclosed run all day, and only be confined to the coop at night. My main concern is how much ventilation to add. The roof and house separate which is where I plan to add the ventilation, I made a rough sketch of the house and what I plan on doing. I think the main question for me is how high should I go up? I am from Eastern Massachusetts.

View attachment 2930478
The orange bars at the top are going to be 2x2's secured to the inside of the wall holding the roof up, there's a window on the front and side, none on the other two sides. The opening goes around the whole coop. For the two windows, I plan on making a way to slide in a plastic/plexiglass cover for the cold days, I also plan on making sort of a flap down cover for the vents across the top that I can use an eye and hook to hold up, aswell as have a stick to hold it out so it will keep the rain out on bad days, and be able to fully close them if need be. So yeah, the only question I've really got is, how raised does the roof need to be to provide sufficient ventilation? Thanks!
Two chickens.
I don't think four, and definitely not six, would fit.

Can you get pictures of the actual playhouse... Maybe we can help you figure out how to add onto it to make it big enough for four or six chickens.

I'm no expert but I'd say at least a foot especially if you are in a warm climate.
Just read again where your from, a foot might be too much. I add extra ventilation but it gets awful hot here in central Texas. 3 big chickens would max that house. General rule is 3 square feet of space per bird.

View attachment 2930478
3.5 ft x 3.5 ft= 12.25 sq ft. One bird needs at least 5 sq ft of room in the coop. Way too small for 4-6 birds, maybe 3 at most

1 How handy are you ?
2. I don't think 2x2 are heavy enough for weight of snow. I would go bigger and safer with 2x4s ( not that much more money. )
I think the rule is 1 foot ventilation per bird?
@Alaskan ?
I agree coop is very small so it might wise to add on if you really want 4- 6 hens or maybe go for a smaller breed ? But you've picked some heavier breeds which I think is better for your area.

I am not very handy, I can cut a few things and nail in a few roosting bars but that’s it. I definitely need some kind of prebuilt base to work off of, and a kids play house seems the most affordable wooden option that isn’t a prefab. After reading the responses, I found this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/KidKraft...with-EZ-Kraft-Assembly/928534389?athbdg=L1800
After some calculation, I could get 6.5 square feet of ventilation if I cut out the area around the top window on both sides. The floor space would be a little over 22 square feet, so if I had 6 they would have 3.8 each, 5 they’d have 4.5, and 4 they’d have 5.7.
Upon doing more research on this site, the range of minimums seems to be between 3-5, so It would fit into all of those for how many I want. Thoughts?

Edit: I’d also paint over it with exterior to waterproof it.

I am not very handy, I can cut a few things and nail in a few roosting bars but that’s it. I definitely need some kind of prebuilt base to work off of, and a kids play house seems the most affordable wooden option that isn’t a prefab. After reading the responses, I found this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/KidKraft...with-EZ-Kraft-Assembly/928534389?athbdg=L1800
After some calculation, I could get 6.5 square feet of ventilation if I cut out the area around the top window on both sides. The floor space would be a little over 22 square feet, so if I had 6 they would have 3.8 each, 5 they’d have 4.5, and 4 they’d have 5.7.
Upon doing more research on this site, the range of minimums seems to be between 3-5, so It would fit into all of those for how many I want. Thoughts?

Edit: I’d also paint over it with exterior to waterproof it.
Most of the experts on here will tell you the minimum is 5 sq ft for each bird in the coop, 10 sq ft each bird for run and 1 sq ft each bird for roost. Bigger is always better in my opinion.

Edit: you also have to think about the future. Are you maybe going to get new birds in the future? Does it necessarily fit your needs too? Is it going to be easy to “clean”? Will it hold up in the long run? Can you easily “demo” this? Nesting box? Run door? Roosts?

Back
Top Bottom