How much fighting is normal when introducing

hodor

Songster
Nov 6, 2015
Australia
Hello,

Currently I have only two chickens after losing one to a fox, so I have just got another. Perhaps wrongly I have skipped quarantine, I know the owner it came from and it is only a block from my place

The flock (if you can call it that) is an Ancona and Araucana and have just got barred rock to replace the one I lost. Set up is a day run where the new chicken can have some space on grass and a small night cage with a log to perch on, not a lot of space past food and water, its secure though. For the first hour the Ancona didn't move away from the new hen and tried attacking through the wire a few times and then lost interest. I'll keep this up for a few days.

The Ancona lost a few neck feathers before I managed to chase off the fox so I think she is extra skittish, the Araucana is super relaxed. Happy I didn't lose them all.

As this is my first time introducing a chicken to a flock I was wonder how much fighting is normal to establish the pecking order once they have access? I read somewhere that you have to let them work it out and fight a bit and to separate if blood is drawn, seems a bit brutal. Is there any other advice?

There is gonna be bloodshed more then likely,just let them work out,if the fights continuing for an obvious long amount of time,you may need to Seperate

I have had my new birds in a sectioned off (with wire) in the coop with food and water with my former birds for 3 weeks now. Planning on taking down the wire in about a week. Introductions take time with chickens. Can't just put them together and expect them to give hugs and kisses, there will be pecks and bashes. At least after seeing the newbies for almost a month now the beatings will not be as bad as they would if I simply plopped them in front of each other. They also have to establish the pecking order, they are on the bottom right now..

I'll keep this up for a few days.
Go longer than few days, a few weeks would be better.
Do you free range and how big is your coop and run, in feet by feet??

Here's some tips on....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

How old are they? Are they all laying, assuming they are all female? Ar they all female? How big are your facilities, coop and run (in meters would be helpful)? Do you free range? These things can make a difference, especially in how you go about integrating. Photos of your facilities can be helpful.

How much fighting is normal? It can vary a lot. Sometimes these things go so smoothly you wonder what all the fuss and worry was about. Sometimes chickens die. A big factor not mentioned above is the individual personalities of your chickens. How badly do they each want to be the dominant chicken? There are tricks and techniques we can give you to help with that process like Aart's post above, but which might actually apply to you or how to implement them will depend on what you have to work with.

But the real answer to your question is that it depends.

Ridge runner is right, it depends. If you separate them, they still need to be close enough to see each other. Just not able to peck each other or you are just starting over.

A single bird introduced to a flock will be attacked by nearly everyone. And integration will be very slow. However, in your case, one bird on one bird is pretty even. I would just throw her in there. Or, I would let the original bird out of the set up, put the new one in the set up, and let her get to know the place for a day, then add the old one back in about dark.

One bird on one bird, especially one that has not be alone for a long time should be fine in a quicker amount of time. If I am adding equal or large numbers to the established flock, there has never been a big problem. But as Ridge runner says, it depends, I do have a lot of space and hide outs in my set up, and my birds are familiar with birds coming and going.

Mrs K

I kept my new hen in see but don't touch quarters for over 2 weeks. They were pretty bored with each other by the time I let them be together. When I let her out into their yard, I threw some scratch down to distract everybody. There was a minor bit of chasing on the part of the dominant hen, but no actual contact. She wasn't allowed into their coop to sleep, however, for another couple of weeks, so she had to sleep in her temporary quarters all that time. Now, they all sleep in the coop together and are fine. Don't rush things, let the hens give you the clue that they are ready to accept one another.

Do you free range and how big is your coop and run, in feet by feet??

Free range most days. Free range area is ~250sq/m (~2600sq/feet)
Secure Coop and Run are about ~9sq/m (~95 feet)

I did a supervised session yesterday for an hour. The new chicken came over to the other two and the Ancona flapped/pecked at it a couple of times and it just kept its distance, didn't even land any blows.

While they were separated this morning the Ancona came over and made some aggrssive feather displays but nothing much really. They slept on a perch together (placed after dark and separated in the morning).

Seems to be going smoothly enough, new chicken doesn't seem stressed.

I too am having the same problem. My Buff Orphington hen's (2 of them) are about 9 months old.
My 4 new babies (various breeds.. Silver and Golden Wyondott's and 2 Rock speckles (?) have been next to the older gals for 3 weeks now. We let them mingle together in the run for a few hours and it was nothing but pandimoniam. Had to take the little girls out as I feared someone would get hurt. Lot's of chasing and pecking. I'll keep doing this but boy is it hard to see the fighting.
Sue

Back
Top Bottom