How many eggs minimum daily for a roadside farm stand?

Can firewood be sold just after cutting? Do customers expect it to be ready to burn right after purchase?
I was just looking through the dnr/conservation office tree sales. One county had a reminder to not transport firewood. Emerald Ash borers are not the only threat - the spotted lantern fly and asian longhorn beetle are as damaging but to many more species. Like the maples.

That county also had recommendations of tree species to plant where the dead ash are; left to recover on its own, the large open spaces give invasive plants too much of an advantage.

Hi all, FYI, I just posted 35 pullets for sale on Craigslist yesterday, and they all sold by this evening, with 4 others inquiring. So the egg shortages are real?

I have been working on the design of a roadside stand or kiosk to sell eggs. I live on fairly busy county road in a rural residential area. County said it is ok. I have 25 laying hens (producing 9 eggs a day now, 21/day during summer), and another 20 pullets should start laying in 1-2 months. This is about the maximum quantity of birds to comfortably fit my barn. Last summer I had trouble selling or even giving away all the eggs that accumulated during the week. However, if I put a roadside stand out, that means there will only be one or two egg crates out in the stand every morning, which is not a lot. Should I even bother with the stand?
I think a stand is a great idea. I also think a few days a week and a sign to indicate when you have and when you don't is a must. It would be great to unload all in one or two or three days and not be the beck and call egg gal.
So many terrific ideas on this thread. Please keep us updated.

I think a stand is a great idea. I also think a few days a week and a sign to indicate when you have and when you don't is a must. It would be great to unload all in one or two or three days and not be the beck and call egg gal.
So many terrific ideas on this thread. Please keep us updated.
Agreed. You all have given me much insight into how to manage the stand. Thank you! I will definitely keep everyone posted.

Check with the coordinator of the farmers market as rules may differ from state, county and township. My county-run farmers market in MI requires eggs be washed and refrigerated, and one can not sell prepared foods without it being prepared in a commercial kitchen. But my small ultra-rural township within the same county allows unwashed eggs, baked goods, etc.

Hi all, FYI, I just posted 35 pullets for sale on Craigslist yesterday, and they all sold by this evening, with 4 others inquiring. So the egg shortages are real?

I have been working on the design of a roadside stand or kiosk to sell eggs. I live on fairly busy county road in a rural residential area. County said it is ok. I have 25 laying hens (producing 9 eggs a day now, 21/day during summer), and another 20 pullets should start laying in 1-2 months. This is about the maximum quantity of birds to comfortably fit my barn. Last summer I had trouble selling or even giving away all the eggs that accumulated during the week. However, if I put a roadside stand out, that means there will only be one or two egg crates out in the stand every morning, which is not a lot. Should I even bother with the stand?
Anymore thoughts on your stand. Did this thread help sway, clarify or solidify any plans for you?

Anymore thoughts on your stand. Did this thread help sway, clarify or solidify any plans for you?
Oh my goodness, yes! Lots to think about from this thread. Took ideas from here, and some of my own, and met with the local agricultural extension office, to see which were allowed as cottage industry. I'm thinking of selling baked goods; goat milk fudge and goat milk soap; edible chicken eggs, hatching eggs, and pullets when they are ready; live meat rabbits. Here's what I started building last week, and also the initial signage, below. I really appreciate this community!
20230215_071730.jpg

signage.jpg

Oh my goodness, yes! Lots to think about from this thread. Took ideas from here, and some of my own, and met with the local agricultural extension office, to see which were allowed as cottage industry. I'm thinking of selling baked goods; goat milk fudge and goat milk soap; edible chicken eggs, hatching eggs, and pullets when they are ready; live meat rabbits. Here's what I started building last week, and also the initial signage, below. I really appreciate this community!View attachment 3405872
View attachment 3405874
BRAVO!! Seems like meeting with the ag dept you were able to expand even further! Well, you are now the one with the great idea and inspiring others! Terrific build 🤩 and very impressive how you jumped into action so quickly ♡. I wish you the best and hope you keep us updated. Do you have a stamp for your egg cartons? Where are you sourcing your stuff? Def want to see a finished build and first day photo! Congratulations!! 👏👏👏👏

Your thread has inspired me to sell my eggs and sewn feed bags at the local farmers market for awhile b4 making my own stand. I'm having tags made to sew in my bags this week. Got a little tired of late and no show people so hopefully it will be a one shot, 2 hour deal, 1x a week for me. Could be fun and social (which I am not) or may just be effort for little payoff lol. Life is good!

BRAVO!! Seems like meeting with the ag dept you were able to expand even further! Well, you are now the one with the great idea and inspiring others! Terrific build 🤩 and very impressive how you jumped into action so quickly ♡. I wish you the best and hope you keep us updated. Do you have a stamp for your egg cartons? Where are you sourcing your stuff? Def want to see a finished build and first day photo! Congratulations!! 👏👏👏👏

Your thread has inspired me to sell my eggs and sewn feed bags at the local farmers market for awhile b4 making my own stand. I'm having tags made to sew in my bags this week. Got a little tired of late and no show people so hopefully it will be a one shot, 2 hour deal, 1x a week for me. Could be fun and social (which I am not) or may just be effort for little payoff lol. Life is good!
Hi, thank you so much for your support and follow-up :)
As far as a stamp for my egg cartons, I bought a hand-held thermal printer, the NIIMBOT, on Amazon, and blank adhesive labels on eBay. They come out to $0.01 per label, and can be programmed via phone app for eggs, fudge, and different uses.
Sourcing stuff.. like egg cartons? I may have to get fiber cartons from Cackle for $0.33 each, although I would like clear cartons.
I'm glad I could be of inspiration :) That's very sweet of you.
Another avenue to sell goods is the local convenience store or gas station in a rural town. They will usually take non-perishable goods on consignment.
As a side note, this thread got me to thinking, about why my hens laid so few eggs over the winter. (I don't buy feed at TSC.) I was feeding 60 chickens (25 laying hens ages 1.5 years) and only getting 3 eggs per day. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this was due to the hens molting, in addition to short winter days. I sold all of my 3-4 month old pullets due to overcrowding, but probably should have kept some for my own egg production. My thinking to correct this for next winter is to hatch some chicks now, or by every April at the latest, so there are some fresh layers that are not molting by November.

Back
Top Bottom