How many eggs minimum daily for a roadside farm stand?

Pics

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi all, FYI, I just posted 35 pullets for sale on Craigslist yesterday, and they all sold by this evening, with 4 others inquiring. So the egg shortages are real?

I have been working on the design of a roadside stand or kiosk to sell eggs. I live on fairly busy county road in a rural residential area. County said it is ok. I have 25 laying hens (producing 9 eggs a day now, 21/day during summer), and another 20 pullets should start laying in 1-2 months. This is about the maximum quantity of birds to comfortably fit my barn. Last summer I had trouble selling or even giving away all the eggs that accumulated during the week. However, if I put a roadside stand out, that means there will only be one or two egg crates out in the stand every morning, which is not a lot. Should I even bother with the stand?

I think that you do what is easiest in getting rid of excess eggs for you. If you have someone to buy/take them do that first, if there are extra then put them out on the stand.

Or try the stand and see how it goes. Kinda the way farm stands are, in the summer here sometimes they are empty by 9 am and sometimes they have stuff still in the afternoon. All about what the people driving by need.

You could always try selling on Craigslist, that is big here.

I think that you do what is easiest in getting rid of excess eggs for you. If you have someone to buy/take them do that first, if there are extra then put them out on the stand.

Or try the stand and see how it goes. Kinda the way farm stands are, in the summer here sometimes they are empty by 9 am and sometimes they have stuff still in the afternoon. All about what the people driving by need.

You could always try selling on Craigslist, that is big here.
Thanks for your response. It was an effort to get rid of the excess eggs last summer; but just not sure if daily production is enough to generate repeat customers at a stand. My concern is, people will stop shopping at my stand once they see no eggs left.

My concern is, people will stop shopping at my stand once they see no eggs left.
Do you live on a busy enough road?

If I saw a stand that had something I wanted or needed and it was empty I would try again but that is me personally.

If you are comfortable leaving your phone number on a note in the farm stand that if the eggs are gone to get on a list for the next batch. Maybe build your client list and not need the farm stand.

Are you only thinking eggs?

Do you live on a busy enough road?

If I saw a stand that had something I wanted or needed and it was empty I would try again but that is me personally.

If you are comfortable leaving your phone number on a note in the farm stand that if the eggs are gone to get on a list for the next batch. Maybe build your client list and not need the farm stand.

Are you only thinking eggs?
Hi, thanks for your thoughtful questions. The road is fairly busy, for a rural community. Yes, most folks here leave their numbers at the stand for various reasons. What else could sell besides eggs?

Sell what you can. I would suggest you have a big 'Available / Sold Out' sign with a note asking whoever buys the last dozen to flip the sign from 'Available' to 'Sold Out.' I would think people could tired of stopping to find there are no eggs. But, if they know not to stop when the eggs are gone, no harm done.
Perfect!!! Thank you!

x2. Neighbor across the way sells small bouquets, berries, corn and firewood off their driveway. Firewood is a popular seller around here, not sure if you're located somewhere where people would buy that.
Interesting. Thank you @rosemarythyme and @wichikmama.
What do you think of this idea: M-F I could sell hot coffee and a pastry for $5 for contractors and farmers heading to work in the morning, and weekends, there will be enough eggs (10-20 dozen) so enough customers will each be able to buy some.

Back
Top Bottom