Alexandria_t

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2019
Texas
My silkie has been broody so I decided to give her some eggs. I gave her 2 small standard size (a little bit bigger than a silkie egg) and 1 regular standard sized eggs. So far she has 3 eggs. How many eggs would you give a silkie? I was looking around and some people said 13-14?! I think that is too many? What would you recommend? Thank you ❤️

My silkie has been broody so I decided to give her some eggs. I gave her 2 small standard size (a little bit bigger than a silkie egg) and 1 regular standard sized eggs. So far she has 3 eggs. How many eggs would you give a silkie? I was looking around and some people said 13-14?! I think that is too many? What would you recommend? Thank you ❤️
A Silkie hen would not be able to hatch 13+ eggs, nor could she raise that many chicks at one time.

For Silkies and standard eggs... no more than 6-8 would be suggested according to my experience breeding them for a few years.

You are already setting her up for failure by starting with a couple eggs and adding more. It causes staggered hatch. :hmm You NEED to collect all the eggs you are going to set and put them under her at the SAME time. Be sure and mark them clearly (I use sharpie) so the nest can be checked nightly and any new deposits made from other ladies can be collected.

Some of us even just adopt chicks to our broody hens for raising. How long has she been sitting for already and how old is she? :pop

:fl:jumpy:jumpy

A Silkie hen would not be able to hatch 13+ eggs, nor could she raise that many chicks at one time.

For Silkies and standard eggs... no more than 6-8 would be suggested according to my experience breeding them for a few years.

You are already setting her up for failure by starting with a couple eggs and adding more. It causes staggered hatch. :hmm You NEED to collect all the eggs you are going to set and put them under her at the SAME time. Be sure and mark them clearly (I use sharpie) so the nest can be checked nightly and any new deposits made from other ladies can be collected.

Some of us even just adopt chicks to our broody hens for raising. How long has she been sitting for already and how old is she? :pop

:fl:jumpy:jumpy

Very informative, thank you!

I feel the lesser, the better. I had a cochin sit on 12 eggs one time and a lot of them would get pushed out and wouldn't be kept warm enough.. so a few eggs died because of that. It was too many for her to keep warm. She wasn't that big no matter how much she fluffed herself out.

Back
Top Bottom