How long can chicks stay in incubator?

justin742

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2021
Massachusetts
We are at day 22 of incubation.

Temp is 99.5 humidity is 68%-72%

I ordered 10 buff orpington eggs, and after candling ended up with 7 that looked good & healthy 2 days before lockdown. I have 2 chicks that are active and one hatched about 24 hrs ago and the other about 16hrs, still have 4 others waiting to pip. The eggs were shipped to me, and I’m new to hatching, but have been raising chicks since 2010. I just don’t want to ruin any other potential hatchers for change in temp and humidity if I were to move them to the brooder. I’ve done a lot of googling and it spans from 24h to 72h so here I am.

Beware pics of cuteness overload :jumpy

Attachments

• B93C9545-3B62-46A3-BE01-2CECC5709AAD.jpeg
    B93C9545-3B62-46A3-BE01-2CECC5709AAD.jpeg
    420.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 4351227A-CBE0-46A2-AFC3-B57E804FF833.jpeg
    4351227A-CBE0-46A2-AFC3-B57E804FF833.jpeg
    403.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
There are definitely different opinions about when to take chicks out. I take anyone who is dry out about 24 hours after the first hatch. Then 24 hours later remove any more that have hatched and dried. Occasionally I need to get a trailer out after that. If you are concerned about humidity add mist to the air or a wet paper towel inside the incubator. The chicks are ok for 48 hours or longer without food or water, but opening the incubator is not harmful for a short time, so I like many like to move the chicks out to eat and drink and keep them from bothering new hatches.

I like to get hatchlings out as soon as possible at least mostly dry and into warm brooder. As long as other eggs have not externally piped there is no problem with shrink wrapping. I even remove if eggs have externally piped with no problems with short period of lid off for quick removal. If it's hard for your incubator to recover humidity you can add wet sponge or paper towel or mist as others have stated. I would remove those 2, by looking at your pic that is a small incubator and I would get them out into a warm brooder with fresh air feed/water. Con grates on your first hatching hoping other 4 hatch as well. Incubating/hatching is so exciting and rewarding.

Last edited:
I like to get hatchlings out as soon as possible at least mostly dry and into warm brooder. As long as other eggs have not externally piped there is no problem with shrink wrapping. I even remove if eggs have externally piped with no problems with short period of lid off for quick removal. If it's hard for your incubator to recover humidity you can add wet sponge or paper towel or mist as others have stated. I would remove those 2, by looking at your pic that is a small incubator and I would get them out into a warm brooder with fresh air feed/water. Con grates on your first hatching hoping other 4 hatch as well. Incubating/hatching is so exciting and rewarding.
They have since been moved to the brooder. Thank you guys for all the helpful comments! I personally don't have issues with temp or humidity, just would have rather been safe than sorry as this is my first time hatching. You guys rock!

They have since been moved to the brooder. Thank you guys for all the helpful comments! I personally don't have issues with temp or humidity, just would have rather been safe than sorry as this is my first time hatching. You guys rock!
Hatch rates in shipped eggs can be very low depending on how rough they were handled in shipping. Hoping the best for your last 4 eggs.

Hatch rates in shipped eggs can be very low depending on how rough they were handled in shipping. Hoping the best for your last 4 eggs.
Day 23, nothing new, hoping for the best but expecting the worst. How long would it be safe to say they didn't make it? I will be doing an egg-topsy for those who didn't make it.

On the other hand if no others hatch, do you have any recommendations for ordering small order chicks? I've checked many sites but I'm not trying to pay a $45 small order fee. For now I'll continue to keep checking my local TSC and craigslist.

Last edited:
Day 23, nothing new, hoping for the best but expecting the worst. How long would it be safe to say they didn't make it? I will be doing an egg-topsy for those who didn't make it.

On the other hand if no others hatch, do you have any recommendations for ordering small order chicks? I've checked many sites but I'm not trying to pay a $45 small order fee. For now I'll continue to keep checking my local TSC and craigslist.
My local TSC usually has chicks anytime now I haven't been in in a while not sure if they have them yet. If you didn't need them right away that would probably be your best bet.

My local TSC usually has chicks anytime now I haven't been in in a while not sure if they have them yet. If you didn't need them right away that would probably be your best bet.
Well its day 24, and no pips or wiggles. I decided to candle them 1 by 1 late last night because I saw no external pipping, and I have by no means the background of what they are supposed to look like (other than googling, and picture comparing), but it looks like they stopped development at some point (again this is my first time hatching) which is strange because 4 of the unhatched were wiggling before the 2 that hatched pipped. Leaving them in until end of day 25 just incase, but that's the risk I took with mail order eggs.

Called manager of local TSC and he said to check the store late monday/tuesday when they receive their weekly shipments to see if they have received any chicks, if not I may just do another mail order of eggs, as I've found this to be much more fun and rewarding.

You guys have been extremely helpful and I can't thank you all who have replied enough! 😄

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom