How high off coop floor for nesting boxes

Yellowcoop1

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 13, 2014
Hi all,

Another rookie question. I will be buying little giant nesting boxes for my hens and I am wondering what the ideal height off of the coop floor is to place these nesting boxes.

Thanks,
Vicki

Hi all,

Another rookie question. I will be buying little giant nesting boxes for my hens and I am wondering what the ideal height off of the coop floor is to place these nesting boxes.

Thanks,
Vicki
I'm not an expert, but the information I have found is that you want it below the height of your roosts. Chickens will roost in the highest spot they can find and you don't want them roosting in/on the nest boxes.

Above the floor, but below the roosts. I built an amish style coop which had the nest boxes on the floor, I added an 8" board as a divider to keep coop floor and nest box shavings separate. In retrospect I don't like the Amish coop, it looks nice, but too involved to build.

I realize that isn't a specific answer, but hope it helps you.

Alex

Every bit of information helps thank you. I'm going to have an 8 x 8 coop, the left side will be arranged with a poop board about waist high and this is something I've taken from another poster here, I'm going to fill it with sweet PDZ. the opposite side of the coop will be the nesting boxes and I will probably put them up 12 inches off the ground. if that sounds right to everybody. Please feel free to chime in and let me know if I'm on track with the 12 inches because that will be a little less than halfway up from the height of the poop board. Roosting bar will probably go about 12 inches above the poop board and may be a little more than that in case I get the chicken with Long feathers.

Last edited:
Every bit of information helps thank you. I'm going to have an 8 x 8 coop, the left side will be arranged with a poop board about waist high and this is something I've taken from another poster here, I'm going to fill it with sweet PDZ. the opposite side of the coop will be the nesting boxes and I will probably put them up 12 inches off the ground. if that sounds right to everybody. Please feel free to chime in and let me know if I'm on track with the 12 inches because that will be a little less than halfway up from the height of the poop board. Roosting bar will probably go about 12 inches above the poop board and may be a little more than that in case I get the chicken with Long feathers.
Sounds good to me, I don't know what PDZ is but I'm sure you've done your research. My one comment would be that if you go with the deep litter method you may want a little more space to get below the roost boxes as that method requires you to mix up the litter once in a while.

Didn't think about that. Thanks for the heads up. I wanna do the DLM. So I will probably do 18 inches or so. Since they are not "built in" nest boxes I can position easily and move them easily cause they hang on screws as opposed to being screwed in if you know what I mean. Oh by the way, the tops of the Little Giant nesting boxes are sloped so they can't roost on them.

Hi all,

Another rookie question. I will be buying little giant nesting boxes for my hens and I am wondering what the ideal height off of the coop floor is to place these nesting boxes. I have mine at 2 feet. It makes it easy for them to hop up from the floor to the nest box. It gives ample room to utilize space under the nest box for feeders and waters etc.

Thanks,
Vicki
Poop boards should be located higher than your nest boxes an preferably the highest spot for roosting through the night.
I have my 2x4 roost 3½ inches from my poop board.

I find the spacing ideal it saves the day when eggs are laid through the night while they are roosting. My coop has basically three levels and the hens hop up 2 feet to the roost from the second level

I have my roost in cups and can just put them to one side when cleaning the board.

In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new.

Easy peasy!.

Chicken coop is salvaged 4x8 metal shed.

My roost over my poop boards is very similar to this photo (except my roost are resting on the lower 2x4).
I recently friction fit a piece of vinyl flooring over my poop board.it makes clean up even easier; Pop out; Scrap; Hose; Pop in.

Winter months even easier flex over compost bin DONE!

Easy peasy!.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom