How exactly, do you tie a dead chicken to the dog who killed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulemom

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I try to keep my chickens and my dh's dog seperated, but one of my hens go out this morning and the @#&$! mutt got her before I even know she was out.

Some folks say tying the chicken to the dog until it rots will break them of this, but what keeps the dog from just eating the rest of the dead bird and being done with it? What about the other dog? The one that doesn't kill chickens. Won't that dog just help chew it off?

What do you think?

The dog will have no idea why you have tied a rotting mess around his neck. The dog needs intensive training to be taught that the chickens belong to you and are off limits to him.

There are several posts on this subject. If you do a search you should be able to find them.

Last edited:
Another question would be "Do I want my dog running around with a rotting chicken hanging around it's neck"?
I have no idea if this method works on dogs or not. I'm inclinded to think not since dogs like nothing better than to roll ion a rotting animal corpse. That being the case why would the smell of a rotting chicken cause them to stop killing chickens.
Here's what I'm sure of: dogs are preditors, chickens are prey. The only absolute way to protect chickens from dogs is to keep them seperated. Your dog was only doing what instinct tolld him to do.

There are lots of old tales. My friend claimed that you are supposed to beat the dog senseless with the dead chicken. Of course she also said you can't get eggs unless you have a roo.
I would try a shocker collar. Watch and when he goes near a chicken push the button. Do this enough and perhaps he'll get it. Shocker collars don't hurt the dog.

My brother in law tried it several years ago. It didn't work. A shock collar did. He raises Labs. Once the collar taught the dog it stopped killing chickens.

Just my 2 cents.
smile.png

It does not always work. A guy I know (was dating him at the time) tried it on his two dogs, but they continued killing the chickens. He used bailing wire wrapped around the chicken carcass, then wired it to the collar around the dog's neck .

Like I mentioned, it does not always work and the smell is horrible so if you do venture to do it just be prepared for the worse.

The big question is what kind of dog is it? If it has any hunting blood in it you will not be able to untrain instinct. I dont know many who have farm dogs that havent lost a chicken or more to dogs. It is not the dogs fault and not always yours. The dog wont learn from tying a dead chicken around its neck, chances are it will find a way to eat it and then learns it is OK. You will have to pen your chickens up and only let them free range when you are home to supervise the dog or the other way around. Our dogs are all kenneled and I have still lost birds to them. Most have been killed by our lab mix and that is not her fault. It was the hubbies fault for letting her out and then not watching her. Now my chickens are also penned in so that when the dogs are out the chickens are in. It is something that you will have to learn to deal with and prevention is the best defense. If a dog is not punished durring the incedent it will not know why it is being punished. They are only doing what feels natural, chase and catch. Unfortunately sometimes they kill in the process. Jenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom