How do you keep duck area dry when it rains a lot?

Breemae123

Songster
Mar 30, 2018
It’s been raining for days and it’s super muddy back there. I put new straw down last night and this morning it’s drench and gross. There isn’t any grass anymore just dirt. So, it gets pretty muddy right now. Straw isn’t working. I’ve seen some people say sand works?

Any advice would be great.

I throw the old pine shavings from their house into the run to absorb some of the mud and moisture, but yeah rain is a pain when it goes on for days.
I have sand and river rock under the kiddie pool and love it there. Just need to budget more money to do the same with the rest of the run - especially for the river rock.

I throw the old pine shavings from their house into the run to absorb some of the mud and moisture, but yeah rain is a pain when it goes on for days.
I have sand and river rock under the kiddie pool and love it there. Just need to budget more money to do the same with the rest of the run - especially for the river rock.
I may go on Craigslist and see if I can find some rock. I see people giving away rock for free as long as you haul it.

I put down straw, which does get wet and compact, but it helps cover the mud. Then when the sun comes out I use a "cultivator" tool. It is my favorite tool so far for the duck run. I turn all the straw with this. It kinda peels it up (once it's become the flattened wet mat) and breaks it up and fluffs it. Then the straw dries out in the sun. If it's been really wet it might take 2-3 days of doing it to totally dry out, but it only takes like 5 minutes to rake the run with it. This way I don't just have to toss the wet straw, things actually dry out.

755625008985.jpg

I just used straw and old pine shavings as well. At this point, it broke down so much that it composted into dirt and it helped to build it up a bit, so now the water runs off and the pen stays dry.
That doesn’t smell? I know ducks will smell always but it’s
I put down straw, which does get wet and compact, but it helps cover the mud. Then when the sun comes out I use a "cultivator" tool. It is my favorite tool so far for the duck run. I turn all the straw with this. It kinda peels it up (once it's become the flattened wet mat) and breaks it up and fluffs it. Then the straw dries out in the sun. If it's been really wet it might take 2-3 days of doing it to totally dry out, but it only takes like 5 minutes to rake the run with it. This way I don't just have to toss the wet straw, things actually dry out.

755625008985.jpg
oooohhh. I’ll have to get one of those. I’ve been using a rack and my gloved hands. It is a pain

Back
Top Bottom