How cold is too cold for month old ducklings?

Mamma Duck

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2015
Illinois
I have three month old ducklings. I live in Illinois so it has been super cold the past few weeks. But this week is going to warm up! I want to take my three ducklings outside to play, but I am not sure how much cold they can handle. Today is going to be 48 degrees out. Do you think that they will be okay if I take them out for 20 minutes to half and hour? If not, the high this week will be 56 degrees. Would that be okay for them?

I have three month old ducklings. I live in Illinois so it has been super cold the past few weeks. But this week is going to warm up! I want to take my three ducklings outside to play, but I am not sure how much cold they can handle. Today is going to be 48 degrees out. Do you think that they will be okay if I take them out for 20 minutes to half and hour? If not, the high this week will be 56 degrees. Would that be okay for them?
Yeah, it should be okay!! As long as you monitor them and sit there with them!! If you see them starting to get cold, then bring them inside and warm them up!!!

Sorry if i'm wromg, but i'm not that good with farenheit!

I agree with ChickyChickens and I am used to Farenheit, though I have been working to be ambi-temperature-scale-ous.
gig.gif

So 48F is about 9C, 56F is about 13C.

General guideline from Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks is 90F the first week, dropping 5F each week.

So at three months the biggest concern is the difference between the temperature they are used to and the outside temperature. Those temperatures, especially if it is sunny and not windy sound like fine temps for a brief outdoor adventure. Stay with them, and don't forget to look up - hawks are hungry this time of year.

Enjoy!

I remember our outings when the Runners were young. Loads of fun!

Back
Top Bottom