How big should my brooder box be?!

Chick_a_dee

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Peterborough, ON
I'm getting 15 R.I. Red X Columbian Rock chicks at the beginning of July, yeah it seems like a long way away, but I'm moving in even less time. I want to get my brooder MADE so I can just shove it in the back of my car and drive it to the farm, to set it up in the dog kennel. Anyway, I have 15 chicks, how much space do I need for them? I have all my other supplies, enough feeders for all of them, waterers, etc. I even have shavings that are left-over from our last litter of puppies (they're kiln dried pine shavings). We were going to make it like a whelping box, after all that's all it really is.. so what size?! my mum thinks that 4x4 would be okay, but I'm not certain

HELP

I don't really know the answer to your question, but I can tell you that I had 20 chicks (all standard-sized breeds) in a 2x4' brooder with a hanging red heat lamp over it, and at about 1.5-2 weeks they started getting rather rambunctious with each other and seeming to me like more space was really needed. One with a VERY precocious big red comb was getting it fairly well pecked at, and they seemed to be taking casual pecks at each other in general quite a lot.

At 2 wks I moved them to a much much much larger pen and they got more civilized again. I probalby could've kept them in the 2x4 box another week if I'd had to, but past that I sincerely think I would have been having a lot of problems with them.

Good luck,

Pat

Luckily, because my brooder is the partitioned off corner of my basement, I have the ability to expand. I have 30 two week olds in a 4 x 4 and it is just right. "Just right" for right now. I plan to make it 4 x 6 in the next few days.
Hope that helps.

Always remember that baby chicks will soon out grow most size boxes. The 4x4 will be ok, and U can keep them longer than say a 2x2. Yes the 4x4 will be a bit large to start, but will provide enough space later!

Thanks so much! I just went about an hour ago and bought some plywood from homedepot to make my brooder, 4x4 and on castors
big_smile.png
with a lovely hinged lid that can be propped open, we're making it so it's all just panels that slide together, and can be taken down and "flat packed," for storage.... easier to clean.

Back
Top Bottom