MsMarvel34

Hatching
Aug 12, 2020
Hello! I have been reading posts and advice here for a long while! My name is Tonya and I live in Brevard County FL. I recently (last 6months) took in a rooster who has special challenges. When we took him in as a rescue, we were told from a friend (who had tried to take him in herself but her other rooster was violent towards him) that he was almost crippled and could not walk properly or crow. Sure enough the guy seems to have a severe deformity and limps very noticeably. His legs swell and they pop at the "knee joint" and are bent and stiff. His comb was frequently blue and he did not crow at all. Where we live I am not allowed to have a rooster at all. Since he had never been heard crowing I decided to help. At this time he was being abused so it was important to get him out. We fell in love with him! He is a beautiful Black Australorp we have named Johnny Cash ( The Man in Black) Fast forward to about a month ago after tender care and VetRx among other holistic treatments and the man has started to crow! We began trying to rehome him at that time. No one has been able to take him. He crowing has been so bad due to construction and I am terrified of the city being called on us. He crows all day long off and on as of now. So we brought him in the house. I need any advice about having a Rooster in the house and how to make it work until we can find a safe home for him. He is so gentle natured I have never seen a rooster like him! I have seen others have chickens in the house for one reason or another. I know it isn't ideal but I feel out of options. I reached out to several sanctuaries and farms and no one can take him at this time.

Hmm, tough situation! I don't have the answer, but I was literally on my way to start a thread asking about my 12 week old Salmon Faverolle cockerel being frighteningly clumsy. His name is Chick Maelle, but my profile picture is my frizzle Rothschild. I would love to have him as a house chicken because he's quite rude to his friends, he is extremely feathery so on even remotely hot days he is constantly panting (I have air conditioning in my house), but he's just the sweetest little (I mean biiiig) cockerel ever to me. My white silkie Peaches has a crush on him lol. I thought it might be cool to have Peaches and Chick Maelle as house chickens. The only problem is the crowing in the city!

Johnny Cash "The Man in Black"
Hmm, tough situation! I don't have the answer, but I was literally on my way to start a thread asking about my 12 week old Salmon Faverolle cockerel being frighteningly clumsy. His name is Chick Maelle, but my profile picture is my frizzle Rothschild. I would love to have him as a house chicken because he's quite rude to his friends, he is extremely feathery so on even remotely hot days he is constantly panting (I have air conditioning in my house), but he's just the sweetest little (I mean biiiig) cockerel ever to me. My white silkie Peaches has a crush on him lol. I thought it might be cool to have Peaches and Chick Maelle as house chickens. The only problem is the crowing in the city!

Love it! Haha yeah the city is all i am worried about. He is so fragile! Maybe we can learn together! Im afraid no one would take as well a care of him as I do. But he cant stay outside. Forgot to mention i have two hens that torture him! I cant get his pic to load either or Id share it!

Johnny Cash "The Man in Black"

Love it! Haha yeah the city is all i am worried about. He is so fragile! Maybe we can learn together! Im afraid no one would take as well a care of him as I do. But he cant stay outside. Forgot to mention i have two hens that torture him! I cant get his pic to load either or Id share it!
I have some pictures to share! I’m sure his walking isn’t nearly as bad as Johnny’s, but I’m still worried about him.
Here he is under the training perch. He tries to go under it instead of over it, and when he gets to squished he just lies down.
448C8A76-FF27-4445-8189-29F442E934B0.jpeg

Here is a full body photo. Such a handsome cockerel!
2C695836-6717-4625-AF73-C0E3A0C8993E.jpeg

I have some pictures to share! I’m sure his walking isn’t nearly as bad as Johnny’s, but I’m still worried about him.
Here he is under the training perch. He tries to go under it instead of over it, and when he gets to squished he just lies down.
View attachment 2288301
Here is a full body photo. Such a handsome cockerel!View attachment 2288302
I tried to get videos to upload here and pics. No luck ugh. Your guy is so handsome!

Having a rooster in the house isn't my first choice, but if he's special then I would do it, as far as rooster crowing in the house it would sound like a distant muffle for the person outside. It's just your own patience to deal with the noise on the inside.

Back
Top Bottom