Henrico County Changing Ordinance

I'm hoping it is early in 2019! Is the 200 ft requirement current or the new one coming in 2019? Last I heard it was 400 ft from any residence or building, but I couldn't find any specific language in the county code book for it.
Ha! Me too - they need to come in line with the City 15ft & Hanover 15ft. The 200ft is a current requirement based on being in an A1. (agriculture district) Yes, normally it is 400ft. Let me check and see if I still have the zoning code wording for you.

I spoke with someone about this Saturday with a lady that serves on the Board. Short answer it is being updated but not until 2019! :( I do not know what the new requirements are going to be. If you are zones in an A1 district, the requirement is 200ft. I hope that this helps. (I am not trying to seem like a know it all but this is a hot topic for me so I am trying to stay in the know)

Hi again,

Can you tell me---if we are zoned in A1 and there is a 200ft requirement, does this just mean that the chicken coop/run has to be 200 ft from any residence/building? I have been scouring the code book but have struggled to find exact language and definitions for this code requirement.

Hi again,

Can you tell me---if we are zoned in A1 and there is a 200ft requirement, does this just mean that the chicken coop/run has to be 200 ft from any residence/building? I have been scouring the code book but have struggled to find exact language and definitions for this code requirement.

Hi:
I am sorry to leave you hanging. I have not been able to find it either, perhaps the Board is working on it. (fingers crossed) I have learned that the Board is considering lessening the requirement to 50 ft for A1
I am not sure but, I think you would have to check your deed or contact zoning to find out.

Good afternoon, everyone. I just wanted to post an update to this thread since I'm also very interested in raising chickens in Henrico. I checked out the Planning department's website which has the proposed zoning code revisions, and they released a draft in November 2018 of version/module 1 containing the proposed changes.

They have included changes to the restrictions, but it would be subject to obtaining a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) from the county in many of the residential zones. It would also draw restrictions based on a combination of your property line and coop/run rather than the nearest domestic dwellings. I've included the screenshot below for your convenience, but it can be found in Article 4 on Page 68 of the full document.

Henrico Proposed Poultry Code.png

Good afternoon, everyone. I just wanted to post an update to this thread since I'm also very interested in raising chickens in Henrico. I checked out the Planning department's website which has the proposed zoning code revisions, and they released a draft in November 2018 of version/module 1 containing the proposed changes.

They have included changes to the restrictions, but it would be subject to obtaining a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) from the county in many of the residential zones. It would also draw restrictions based on a combination of your property line and coop/run rather than the nearest domestic dwellings. I've included the screenshot below for your convenience, but it can be found in Article 4 on Page 68 of the full document.

View attachment 1733353
Thank you very much for posting this new info!

You're very welcome. I signed up for the email notifications on the project's website, and I received a very prompt email from a representative of the Planning department. They do not have any public hearings scheduled to discuss the proposed zoning changes, but he informed me that I would be notified when they were booked.

I would wager that this won't be done until 2020 based on there being two more iterations of this module, public hearings, finalized versions presented, and final approval by the Planning Commission.

You're very welcome. I signed up for the email notifications on the project's website, and I received a very prompt email from a representative of the Planning department. They do not have any public hearings scheduled to discuss the proposed zoning changes, but he informed me that I would be notified when they were booked.

I would wager that this won't be done until 2020 based on there being two more iterations of this module, public hearings, finalized versions presented, and final approval by the Planning Commission.
I will look into receiving notifications as well. It is disappointing that even these changes do not look to be finalized until 2020. Folks more in the know that I were assured that changes would be in made in 2019 and they would be more in line with our neighbor jurisdictions. I would be willing to attend any public hearings on this matter. Thanks again!

Thank you for posting this updated information! I have been searching and searching for any info for Henrico county, and this was, by far, the most recent info I could find. So this is the "proposed" revisions which are not in effect until they are approved? So as of today, June 23, 2019, it is still the old ordinance if 400 feet? Even with a CUP? Because I am ready to go tomorrow to obtain a CUP! Please keep us posted on when this is passed! It's certainly a long time coming!

Thank you for posting this updated information! I have been searching and searching for any info for Henrico county, and this was, by far, the most recent info I could find. So this is the "proposed" revisions which are not in effect until they are approved? So as of today, June 23, 2019, it is still the old ordinance if 400 feet? Even with a CUP? Because I am ready to go tomorrow to obtain a CUP! Please keep us posted on when this is passed! It's certainly a long time coming!

I could be wrong, but even now it looks like you can get a CUP to keep chickens despite the 400 ft requirement. I've been on a few other chicken forums and someone said that they got the CUP in order to kennel dogs on their property (it's the same process for chickens) and she said it cost around $500 and you have to have a hearing; and even then it's not a guarantee. You have to submit plans for the coop and number of animals, etc.

I've been following this as we recently got a complaint from one of our neighbors through a zoning officer. We have the space, and we even meet the setback, but now I feel like we're "in the system". The officer has been helpful and even seems to feel like the ordinances are dumb (he can't say that, but reading between the lines it seems that way). What I don't like is that I have no neighbors behind me, and my chickens will be in a poultry net. But if someone complains, and zoning comes and I have more than 6 I can get in trouble. I want 12 layers (and some broilers, but they won't be on the property very long), but I don't want to get in trouble.

He told me I could apply for a CUP, but it's $450, and if most of them get denied why bother? Has anyone here had experiences good or bad with that? What would my chances be if I get my 12 and stay quiet?

Back
Top Bottom