Henrico County Changing Ordinance

lkross12

Chirping
7 Years
May 26, 2013
Glen Allen, VA
I am back to stalking the county about my chickens. I received an email that they are updating the ordinance. I have read the Code Assessment and it states “…several respondents to the survey stated that the county’s current setback requirements in the zoning ordinance that apply to hen houses and bee keeping are overly restrictive.” And he said that our feedback is welcome. SO PRETTY PLEASE if you would please take a moment and email Benjamin Blankinship at [email protected] You can copy and paste the following:

I am writing in regards to the Code Assessment. I have reviewed the the code Assessment and am pleased to discover on page 75 the “Key Theme 7: Promote Environmentally Friendly Development.” It states, “…several respondents to the survey stated that the county’s current setback requirements in the zoning ordinance that apply to hen houses and bee keeping are overly restrictive.” I agree 100% and would like to see Henrico County adjust their guidelines to follow its neighboring communities.

Richmond City requires a chicken pen to be 15 feet from any adjacent dwelling. Chesterfield County has a minimum setback of 25 feet for a chicken building structure and run. And Hanover County states the chicken enclosure must be at least 15 feet to a property line. Henrico County’s building requirement of 400 feet from any residential lot is extremely excessive in comparison. Henrico County should follow the examples of our neighboring counties.

Thanks for your help!!!

I am back to stalking the county about my chickens. I received an email that they are updating the ordinance. I have read the Code Assessment and it states “…several respondents to the survey stated that the county’s current setback requirements in the zoning ordinance that apply to hen houses and bee keeping are overly restrictive.” And he said that our feedback is welcome. SO PRETTY PLEASE if you would please take a moment and email Benjamin Blankinship at [email protected] You can copy and paste the following:

I am writing in regards to the Code Assessment. I have reviewed the the code Assessment and am pleased to discover on page 75 the “Key Theme 7: Promote Environmentally Friendly Development.” It states, “…several respondents to the survey stated that the county’s current setback requirements in the zoning ordinance that apply to hen houses and bee keeping are overly restrictive.” I agree 100% and would like to see Henrico County adjust their guidelines to follow its neighboring communities.

Richmond City requires a chicken pen to be 15 feet from any adjacent dwelling. Chesterfield County has a minimum setback of 25 feet for a chicken building structure and run. And Hanover County states the chicken enclosure must be at least 15 feet to a property line. Henrico County’s building requirement of 400 feet from any residential lot is extremely excessive in comparison. Henrico County should follow the examples of our neighboring counties.

Thanks for your help!!!
Hi lkross12! :frow I'm not up on ordinances other than what I've read on BYC. Have you ever visited your state thread? There may be others in your area who could be interested.:)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/virginia.80/

They are working on updating the Henrico County code book. I have email Mr. Blankenship about the timeline for this. He said the entire code assessment will take 2-3 years, but a few subjects including backyard hens, might be moving more quickly. More feedback from the chicken supporting community might be helpful.

I sent an email, is there anything else we can do to move this forward? There is a petition circulating on Facebook but I don't know if this has been seen my any of our officials.

I know at least one member is new to the board (Brookland Supervisor ). It may make sense to email the directly also. I am not sure how much is shared from the planning department.

Does anyone know if there have been any updates to the ordinance shortening the 400 ft distance requirement for backyard hens in Henrico County? Or any idea on a timeline to when it will be updated?

Does anyone know if there have been any updates to the ordinance shortening the 400 ft distance requirement for backyard hens in Henrico County? Or any idea on a timeline to when it will be updated?
I spoke with someone about this Saturday with a lady that serves on the Board. Short answer it is being updated but not until 2019! :( I do not know what the new requirements are going to be. If you are zones in an A1 district, the requirement is 200ft. I hope that this helps. (I am not trying to seem like a know it all but this is a hot topic for me so I am trying to stay in the know)

I spoke with someone about this Saturday with a lady that serves on the Board. Short answer it is being updated but not until 2019! :( I do not know what the new requirements are going to be. If you are zones in an A1 district, the requirement is 200ft. I hope that this helps. (I am not trying to seem like a know it all but this is a hot topic for me so I am trying to stay in the know)

I'm hoping it is early in 2019! Is the 200 ft requirement current or the new one coming in 2019? Last I heard it was 400 ft from any residence or building, but I couldn't find any specific language in the county code book for it.

Back
Top Bottom