Hen splayed out in coop - not able to move - now laid egg

Thank you. Another helpful reply.

I have now purchased normal (non high strength) B Complex tablets.

I need to give something today, so am planning on giving a quarter tablet to her of the high strength ones I described above.

Tomorrow, with the ordinary type, I will give a half per day.

Does that sound OK?

Also, what do you use to ensure they have a balanced vitamin diet? Ours cannot free-range because we are in lockdown (bird flu and Covid!). We use layers pellets but is there something else you add to your water or foodmix that helps keep it balanced?

I would get more Calcium into her as well. The Tums is fine or give her 1 Caltrate with D3 once a day for 3-4 days.
The B vitamins are a very good idea.

I would suspect she's having trouble with another egg, did you feel inside the vent? Feel her abdomen for bloat or swelling too.

Also, what do you use to ensure they have a balanced vitamin diet? Ours cannot free-range because we are in lockdown (bird flu and Covid!). We use layers pellets but is there something else you add to your water or foodmix that helps keep it balanced?
Check the label on your layer pellets.

In the USA, layer pellets are usually balanced so a hen can eat them, drink plain water, and not need anything else.

There could be individual hens that need more of some nutrients, but it works pretty well for most hens.

Adding extra treats or supplements can change the balance one way or another, so it's easiest to keep the diet properly balanced if you strictly limit the extras. Getting a proper balance with a mix of other ingredients is possible, but not nearly as easy.

Thanks all

I would suspect she's having trouble with another egg, did you feel inside the vent? Feel her abdomen for bloat or swelling too.
I haven't put a finger inside her but her rear is quite squashy. She is standing up more but then not able to do it and going back onto her elbows. Sorry to be really basic (and I have done it before) but as she is not fully mobile, I don't want to do anything that will make matters worse.

Before I used a nitrile glove with a bit of olive oil on it, and then went in. Am I aiming down or where? If it is a soft egg, how will I know?

I've given her about 3 to 4 hours of daylight and the rest of the time, she is in a room with little light and a dark area over the cage that she can head into.

She is still pooping - and they are solid and big. Very normal looking and she is eating well.

If she's still pooping then an egg is not low enough to be blocking the vent.
Hopefully the B Vitamins, Calcium and hydration will help if she's trying to pass a soft shelled egg.

For reference, if you did need to feel for an egg you would feel inside the vent about 1-2" and slightly up.

Thanks @Wyorp Rock

She is panting a lot. It is not hot - just about 17-20'C. She has been drinking, done another big poop and is just panting like she is too hot. She doesn't feel that hot to me.

Any ideas?

Thanks @Wyorp Rock

She is panting a lot. It is not hot - just about 17-20'C. She has been drinking, done another big poop and is just panting like she is too hot. She doesn't feel that hot to me.

Any ideas?
She may be stressed. It's hard to know exactly what's going on with her.
If her abdomen is squishy (fluid filled?) this can cause some difficulty breathing as well.
Are you limiting light to try to stop her from laying eggs?

Thanks.

Yes, I did limit in in the room but later this afternoon, opened the curtains for about 3 to 4 hours. I thought she might not sleep otherwise.

Did I do the wrong thing?

What temperature was she used to living at?

If outdoors is much cooler, you could try taking her out and see if she quits panting. She doesn't have the option of taking off her feathers the way you would take off a coat, so if she is used to a much cooler temperature, she actually might be too hot even at that temperature.

(Of course the panting could be a symptom of some other problem, but it's fairly easy to check if it really is the temperature causing it.)

Back
Top Bottom