Is she on her way out?

Jenjens

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
IL
I have many posts about Willow. Thought it was so many different things, from respiratory, to cocci, to egg peridontis, to water belly, to gapeworm, to worms, to sour crop, to crop impaction.

Still don't know what is wrong with her. She has now been laying down all day. I see her drinking, she had a tad of food. She is drinking a lot of water

She was lying down in the dust bath area and has moved to the coop. I finally uploaded a YouTube video. My question is, is she on her way out? Her eyes are mostly closed now. She is breathing heavy, as you can see by her tail. I don't know what to do. I saw a messy butt, and am thinking about giving her a soak, but I am not sure if that would be too stressful.

Thanks. Not sure what the box I made there did, but I don't care to fix it. I also just noticed she is indeed going broody after I found eggs under her, but she is indeed ill. She hasn't laid any eggs since last year. 2 years old

Last edited:
I have many posts about Willow. Thought it was so many different things, from respiratory, to cocci, to egg peridontis, to water belly, to gapeworm, to worms, to sour crop, to crop impaction.

Still don't know what is wrong with her. She has now been laying down all day. I see her drinking, she had a tad of food.

Thanks. Not sure what the box I made there did, but I don't care to fix it. I also just noticed she is indeed going broody after I found eggs under her, but she is indeed ill. She hasn't laid any eggs since last year. 2 years old

Could you provide an age?
It seems like water belly and old age. I have had many hens leave me like this.
I am so sorry about your hen! :(

Could you provide an age?
It seems like water belly and old age. I have had many hens leave me like this.
I am so sorry about your hen! :(
She is only 2. The water belly thing keeps changing from soft to firmer so I am afraid to poke her. Is it too late to try?

How long has she been sitting on the eggs? Can you remove her from them? If she is sick, she doesn’t need to be sitting on eggs. You don’t want her getting weaker or hatching chicks that she cannot care for. Do you remove your eggs daily from the nest boxes? Can you place some water in front of her and try to get her drinking? Then do the same with food. To break a broody hen, they need to be placed in a pen or wire dog crate with no bedding on the ground. A roost bar is okay if it will fit. Food and water should be available, and my broodies take about 5 days to break. If they still run to the nest box after 5 days, they spend a few more in the pen. If you should lose her, I would either do a home necropsy or have your state vet do one.

Broody hens will kind of go into a trance when they are seriously broody. Does she have a broody patch—a bare area on her chest and belly? Does she cluck or peck your hand if you reach under her? When she has been sitting for awhile, when you pick her up and carry her outside, what does she do? Most will run back to the nest, or they may cluck a bit, stop for a bite or a drink, and may deposit a very smelly and large broody poop.

How long has she been sitting on the eggs? Can you remove her from them? If she is sick, she doesn’t need to be sitting on eggs. You don’t want her getting weaker or hatching chicks that she cannot care for. Do you remove your eggs daily from the nest boxes? Can you place some water in front of her and try to get her drinking? Then do the same with food. To break a broody hen, they need to be placed in a pen or wire dog crate with no bedding on the ground. A roost bar is okay if it will fit. Food and water should be available, and my broodies take about 5 days to break. If they still run to the nest box after 5 days, they spend a few more in the pen. If you should lose her, I would either do a home necropsy or have your state vet do one.
She literally was sitting on them for maybe 10 minutes. I took them away and brought her back outside and she didn't seem bothered by it, and hasn't done it yet so far today.

Broody hens will kind of go into a trance when they are seriously broody. Does she have a broody patch—a bare area on her chest and belly? Does she cluck or peck your hand if you reach under her? When she has been sitting for awhile, when you pick her up and carry her outside, what does she do? Most will run back to the nest, or they may cluck a bit, stop for a bite or a drink, and may deposit a very smelly and large broody poop.
I brought her outside and she was normal. No missing feathers in belly. This morning she was laying in the ground instead of her roost which has never happened. No eggs underneath her, but one nearby. She came out of the coop no problem. She is still very inactive. I am going to give her a bath today and see if I can see what is going on in her belly after she dries off.

Bathing weak or sick hens can be very stressful, and some can be pushed over the edge. If she has a soiled vent, I would try to clean that up, but be cautious bathing her. Letting her sit on a warm towel in a warm and humid room can be just as effective as a soak if she were egg bound. Calcium is more effective if one is egg bound.

I just want to update in case anyone sees this in the future, since we don't get a lot of updates. I did give her a bath and am glad I did. Once she was all clean and wet, I could see her abdomen and it was huge. I felt it before, but it was difficult to see because she is a big girl with a ton of feathers. I was able to feel her belly to a good extent, and she def. had fluid in there. The fluid came out clear, which means it is a cystic right oviduct. I only removed about 40 ml the first time and her labored breathing is gone and she was eating this morning. I will continue to drain in a couple days so not to stress her system. Thank you everyone for your help.

Back
Top Bottom