Hen has runny vent, unsure what it is

PoppySeedy

Songster
May 14, 2021
Hello all!

Recently I've noticed my hen has a runny vent, I at first thought it was just a dirty bottom so I cleaned it up and trimmed her feathers but every day it keeps happening so I assume it's more than just that. I don't know if it is vent gleet but I am treating it as such. I will attach a photo I took this morning of the issue, and if you have any ideas what it could be any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20240505_083033.jpg
    20240505_083033.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 26
How old is she?

Did she have problems forming a proper eggshell lately?

When did you last deworm?

What exactly are you feeding?

She'll be 5 this year, she usually lays quite fragile eggshells so I do have oyster shells available, last dewormed over a year ago so they're probably due a deworm, feeding layers pellets and chicken scratch with vegetable treats every other day or so, I've cut down on the corn since seeing this issue

5 years is quite advanced age for laying hens.

This is how I would proceed:

• Deworm her thoroughly
  • Give one tablet of calcium citrate 600 +vitamin D3 daily for 7-10 days. In the evening just grab her from the roost, sit her on your lap head facing front. Gently tug down on her wattles, slip the tablet inside and immediately let go of the wattles so she can swallow.
  • Add some ascorbic acid (vitamin C) to her diet, some fresh apple without core will do. It helps to build stronger eggshells
  • And maybe stop the scratch/corn altogether. It is best fed a little in the evening in very low winter temperatures as it will help to keep warm during the night.

5 years is quite advanced age for laying hens.

This is how I would proceed:

• Deworm her thoroughly
  • Give one tablet of calcium citrate 600 +vitamin D3 daily for 7-10 days. In the evening just grab her from the roost, sit her on your lap head facing front. Gently tug down on her wattles, slip the tablet inside and immediately let go of the wattles so she can swallow.
  • Add some ascorbic acid (vitamin C) to her diet, some fresh apple without core will do. It helps to build stronger eggshells
Thank you for the advice! Is there a good dewormer you recommend? And Do you have any idea what the white "leaking" is coming from her vent? Do you think it is vent gleet?

Hello

I can't tell from the photograph whether there is a white discharge and a very mucky rear or not. If there is a lot of white discharge then it could be that she has vent gleat, which is a fungal infection of the vent. It is easily treatable with clotrimazole (the same stuff you use for athlete's foot or thrush in humans). You would smear this around the vent, and with a clean finger (or glove), push some into the vent - not too much but just a thin coating. You would need to do this at least twice a day and ideally three times. It should then start clearing up after about 4 to 5 days, at which point you should stop applying the clotrimazole. It's worth mentioning that the athlete's foot version is of a lower strength and in the UK, the one that I have always had the best success with is Canesten for thrush.

If on the other hand, it is a digestive issue, then stop giving the greens, stop giving corn and give some protein, such as scrambled egg or tuna (in spring water only, not brine), along with your normal layers pellets. Not too much. A heated teaspoon of tuna is enough. A whole scrambled egg over the day is fine.

Good luck. Hope she recovers well whatever the cause.

Thank you for the advice! Is there a good dewormer you recommend? And Do you have any idea what the white "leaking" is coming from her vent? Do you think it is vent gleet?
The white leaking most probably is urate. Her vent looks as if she has produced a lot of large eggs during her lifetime and at her age the tissue is just losing elasticity.
Or do you notice any strange yeast-like smell ?

As dewormer I use Flubendazole 5% , but depending on the country you live in, others like albendazole or fenbendazole will be easier. to purchase

The white leaking most probably is urate. Her vent looks as if she has produced a lot of large eggs during her lifetime and at her age the tissue is just losing elasticity.
Or do you notice any strange yeast-like smell ?

As dewormer I use Flubendazole 5% , but depending on the country you live in, others like albendazole or fenbendazole will be easier. to purchase
I got her age wrong sorry she's 4 this year not five haha, she's been quite a good egger but usually they're smaller than the other hens. Her poo is smelling quite stinky at the moment but I never know if it's a normal stink or unusual stink

Hello

I can't tell from the photograph whether there is a white discharge and a very mucky rear or not. If there is a lot of white discharge then it could be that she has vent gleat, which is a fungal infection of the vent. It is easily treatable with clotrimazole (the same stuff you use for athlete's foot or thrush in humans). You would smear this around the vent, and with a clean finger (or glove), push some into the vent - not too much but just a thin coating. You would need to do this at least twice a day and ideally three times. It should then start clearing up after about 4 to 5 days, at which point you should stop applying the clotrimazole. It's worth mentioning that the athlete's foot version is of a lower strength and in the UK, the one that I have always had the best success with is Canesten for thrush.

If on the other hand, it is a digestive issue, then stop giving the greens, stop giving corn and give some protein, such as scrambled egg or tuna (in spring water only, not brine), along with your normal layers pellets. Not too much. A heated teaspoon of tuna is enough. A whole scrambled egg over the day is fine.

Good luck. Hope she recovers well whatever the cause.
I'll keep doing that then thank you!

Back
Top Bottom