Hen butt injury help

BlutheHen

Hatching
May 3, 2024
Blu is a 5 year old hen , today i found this wound unsure what to do any advice would be greatly appreciated. Info about blu she hasn’t layed this year yet I assumed that was because of age and because she was showing symptoms of waterbelly , but shes still eating and drinking she moving around normal , I treated the wound with vetricyin. Her sister from the same clutch passed from water belly last year. Again any advice would be appreciated, thank you have a nice day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 9
Welcome To BYC

Are you seeing any maggots in the wound?

This looks similar to FlyStrike. Flush and clean the wound really well with saline, chlorhexidine or povidone iodine. If you see any maggots, then you will need to pick those out and continue to flush/clean until you see no more. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Inspect thoroughly again the next day, often more maggots will emerge, if so, repeat the process.

Keep her on clean dry bedding, keep flies away from her/the wound. Tend to the wound daily. See that she's eating/drinking well.

She has a distended abdomen. Hard to know if she is having fluid and/or a reproductive problem. Her vent and the surrounding tissue has also been picked at.

Back
Top Bottom